UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jan 2017, 7:23 pm   #21
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Radiophile Magazine

A few facts regarding the actual technical content of The Radiophile may be of interest in this discussion. I studied four recent back issues and noted the number of pages devoted to technical (articles, images, and other vintage radio related content) and non-technical (including but not limited to editorials, readers' letters, advertising, fiction, non-radio-related non-fiction etc). The result was 73% technical, 27% non-technical.

By the same analysis, the content of four recent issues of the BVWS Bulletin was 88% technical, 12% non-technical.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 26th Jan 2017, 8:39 pm   #22
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Reducing the number of issues makes sense to me, though I'm not a subscriber, so I guess it's not for me to say.

Radio Bygones was six issues a year, but last year went to four issues, though with a similar number of pages in total as in six issues. Obviously the marginal cost of additional pages in four issues, with the same overall amount of content, is much less than the cost of producing and distributing six issues.

I haven't subscribed to Radiophile for at least 27 years, when it was just copied typed sheets held together with staples! The front covers these days are a joy to behold. My copy of Chas's 'Practical Handbook of Valve Radio Repair' was a gift from my elder son and inside is written 'Happy Fathers' Day 1983'. It was also autographed by Chas at an event that year at Shifnal, that Chas organised.
Old 26th Jan 2017, 9:18 pm   #23
GrahamN
Hexode

Quote:
I keep failing to send a photo copy of the front page [at least] from this "binary" edition to Graham for his archive.
Thanks Dave - I now actually have a copy of Radio Bygones Issue 1 here as Chas gave me a huge file of back issues of the Radiophile in order to scan covers for the website and to eventually compile an index (at the current rate of progress I estimate between 30 and 40 years work!). It is very similar in content to the Radiophile magazines of the time (unsurprisingly).
Old 26th Jan 2017, 10:10 pm   #24
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Oh that's good Graham. By the time you've completed the archive in 40 years it will have become invaluable. Seriously though it's good to have that "Bygones" issue on file as it confused me with the continuity of articles and "I was there" as they say!

Dave W
Closed Thread