UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Mar 2017, 9:11 pm   #21
stitch1
Heptode

Default Re: Radio Caroline on MW

Nothing during daylight here either but quite listenable now just using domestic valve radios with a loft AE. There's a rapid fade which some sets cope with better than others and a every few mins it almost completely fades out. Also picking up Radio Ulster nearby a bit better than Manx.

John
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 10:07 pm   #22
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Listening on a 70's Panasonic transistor radio, the radio has a tuning light which I think for MW just monitors the AGC.Most of the time lots of rapid fading showing with the LED bulb flashing but not showing on the audio, AGC working well. Occasional deep fades but not completely lost.
Reminds me of listening to Radio Luxemburg 60 years ago, if I wanted to listen to the station on a regular basis I would use the internet stream, MW for this station at my location not really good enough.
Frank
Old 29th Mar 2017, 11:25 pm   #23
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Good reception of Manx Radio on 219m at 2250 BST tonight in Worcestershire on a Bush TR82C, ITT-KB Golf Preset, Vidor My Lady Catherine and a Trio 9R59DS. Slow fading every few minutes as others have reported. Unfortunately the reception on my Bush AC91 and KB FB10 is pretty poor, due to high levels of background noise. The portables all seem to hear Manx pretty well, but the situation may well be different in daylight. I'll listen again tomorrow.

I've obviously missed last weekend's Caroline broadcast but hope to catch the next one.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 29th Mar 2017 at 11:33 pm. Reason: Update
Old 30th Mar 2017, 8:57 am   #24
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I was listening to Manx Radio last night. Here in the Bristol area I receiving it very clearly on my Hacker Hunter RP38A, I put a short video up on my Facebook timeline.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 9:06 am   #25
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Not a peep this morning! Darn that pesky D-region

Old 30th Mar 2017, 7:11 pm   #26
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I will have a try when the neighbours have gone to bed. It will be nice to hear signals on this little bit of the band once more. I was a regular listener to 1367kHz many moons ago...
Old 31st Mar 2017, 12:01 am   #27
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Rapid fading and selective fading when I listened tonight at about 2030, but by 2330 fading almost non-existent.

Does anyone know when the next Radio Caroline weekend broadcast is scheduled?

Old 31st Mar 2017, 9:09 am   #28
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I was receiving Manx quite clearly last night but there was some strange rapid flutter fading going on, but my Hacker Hunter was holding it very well.
I think conditions are quite disturbed at the moment as there are reports of Northern lights as far south as North Scotland. So it might be worth trying again when the ionosphere has settled down.
Listening to Manx Radio does bring back fond memories of listening to Radio 1 on 247m and Radio Luxembourg on 208m with its fading and slight adjacent channel interference.
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 11:29 am   #29
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I had an interference-free weekend (normally evenings are impossible) so had an opportunity to tune to 1368kHz. On Saturday and Sunday evening Manx was a good signal on the RA117 using a short length of wire hung up to the curtain rail. There was the rapid flutter mentioned above but the AGC coped well and there was the occasional deep fading so familiar in days of yore.

It wasn't the sort of reception acceptable to Mr/Ms Average today but for those of us who remember the old days it was very listenable. Interesting to compare it with the reception I remember of RNI on 1367. Manx is a little closer than RNI but with a similar amount of sea path. Although RNI had an RCA 105kW transmitter I don't think it ever ran at more than 40kW, so ignoring other things (!) Manx's 20kW is 3dB down. I recall that RNI seemed stronger but with much more co-channel interference at night. What I didn't realise was that Manx has been on 1368 since the 1978 rearrangement. I shall look out for the next Radio Caroline takeover. Caroline will finally be actually on a wavelength - 219m - that rhymes!

Interesting when tuning about generally. There was a very nice signal with good audio from Bretagne 5 on 1593kHz and despite the demise of MW broadcasting there seemed to be a signal every 9kHz - at least above 1MHz - I can't check below on the Racal.
Old 3rd Apr 2017, 4:53 pm   #30

Quote:
Interesting when tuning about generally.
It is, from here I get stations all over the MW, most on the lower frequencies (below 1MHz) are 'local Asian' types, quite a fun listen, adverts for curry houses etc. (oh I do like a curry) and lots of local information. I wonder if any are pirates? Now that OFCOM aren't issuing MW licences any more there is plenty of room (will be anyway) for them.

Old 13th Apr 2017, 3:09 pm   #31
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post
Does anyone know when the next Radio Caroline weekend broadcast is scheduled?
Four days of programmes on 1368 over the Easter weekend.

Schedule here: www.radiocaroline.co.uk
Old 15th Apr 2017, 2:17 pm   #32
1100 man
Octode

Just to remind everyone that Caroline is using Manx Radio's 1368 AM transmitter for the whole of the Easter period! The current program is Live from the studios on the Ross Revenge moored in the Blackwater Estuary.
It's their 53rd anniversary this Easter!
So you have to give them credit for at least covering some of the country some of the time with real AM
Happy Birthday, Caroline!!
Cheers Nick
Old 16th Apr 2017, 10:41 am   #33
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Had a listen on my old Sangean portable on it's internal antenna about midnight last night. It was fading but listenable. Just like the old days. I suppose we aren't too far from the IOM up here in the north. With an external aerial it should be solid. I will attempt another listen during daylight hours.
Alan.
Old 16th Apr 2017, 11:59 am   #34
Stuart R
Heptode

Had a listen on the car radio last night around 23:00 around North West London and Hertfordshire. Lost in the noise at times and clear reception -rattling the door cards- at others.

Nothing but a faint BBC Surrey/Susses Gardening phone-in at the same locations just now.

Will have to fire-up the Murphy TA92 tonight, that's how I used to listen to Radio Caroline in my youth.

SR
Old 16th Apr 2017, 12:24 pm   #35
linescan87
Heptode

Manx radio always strong here, well it is nearly line of sight to here. Enjoying the music at the moment.

I do like these Caroline take overs!
Old 16th Apr 2017, 1:20 pm   #36
Andrew2
Nonode

Here in east Manchester, Caroline North on Manx Radio is almost non-existent in the daytime on my portable but just about listenable on my outdoor Wellbrook loop aerial. Just 9 KHz away is Asian Sound Radio, a potent signal from Ashton Moss less than 2 miles away and in the same direction as Manx. Selecting LSB mode clears the sideband splash but it does nothing for the audio quality!
Old 16th Apr 2017, 1:58 pm   #37

Fading in and out here, max S7, min noise!

Closed Thread