UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2011, 2:21 pm   #1
p992aaa
Retired Dormant Member

Default Technics SL1200 MKII help?

Hi everyone, this is my first post. Have been lurking for a while and really enjoy the forum.

Apologies for making my first post a question but I thought some of you may be interested or be able to shed some light on it.

My turntable is speeding up and slowing down when I play records, happened first on only on 45's but now is happening on 33's. It also has the pitch speed problem of speeding up before slowing down on the fader. This is of no importance to me as I am using it for home hifi and have no intention of being a Mix-Master Mike.

I have just replaced the cartidge/stylus with an Audio Technica 120E.

Some quick searches have mentioned the faulty AN6682's IC's?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 12th Sep 2011, 3:36 pm   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Technics SL1200 MKII help?

I used to get one of these on my bench at a rate of about one per year, and although they are a well-built and solid deck, they are let down by the speed selector switches and the pot. Almost all instances of wobbly speed are due to one or the other. Cleaning the speed selector switch (don't use WD40) may do the trick. If not, it'll probably want a new pot.
Old 12th Sep 2011, 4:46 pm   #3
p992aaa
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your response.

Are you talking about the trim pot on the main board?

It is completely stripped at the moment, so replacing it myself won't be an issue. Or some Servisol?
Old 12th Sep 2011, 9:00 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

Is it one you have owned from new?

Second hand, the 1200-II is often ex-pub or club and therefore likely to have seen a drink of beer or two. Beer dissolves copper.

The pitch control pcb suffers as does the fader itself. Check for dry joints on the fader & calibration pot. If out of calibration, you'll get the fault you describe where the quartz lock switch (built into the fader) does not coincide with the zero pitch position on the variable resistor section so that as soon as you move off the quartz lock spot, the turntable either gets suddenly faster or suddenly slower...which can be either side of centre zero.

Of course the fader can just go intermittent but if you fit a new one you will have to calibrate it anyway otherwise it wont work properly.
Old 13th Sep 2011, 6:40 pm   #5
p992aaa
Retired Dormant Member

I bought it second hand and it has seen a lot of use. It has been previously owned by a DJ so I replaced the Stanton Cartridge.

The board seems fine with no signs of dry joints.

Should I replace the pot?
Old 14th Sep 2011, 3:14 pm   #6
D_S_J_R
Heptode

I'd look at the "fader" first and probably see of you can get the complete board as a speare at least - I don't think they're expensive... Hopefully, the main board will be ok, as it's usually well protected against liquid ingress.

If you want to go totally mad with it, the "Art Of Sound" forum has threads and threads dedicated to tweaking the living daylights out of the Techie - at prices to make your mouth water - Hope it's alright to post this link...

Dave
Closed Thread