UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 7th Dec 2023, 7:02 pm   #1
Realtime
Hexode

Talking MK14 Games Compendium - Xmas 2023

In the run-up to Christmas and the New Year myself and Coolsnaz2 will be posting some new games for the MK14.

The first one is a new version of Moon Lander. This VDU version is based on the original idea presented by SiriusHardware in this post. It uses the core Moon Lander code from the SoC MK14 manual with a VDU manager bolted to it. Thanks to Siriushardware for providing his original moonscape graphic .
Click image for larger version

Name:	moonlander.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	289356
Some notes about the game:
  • Requires continuous memory from 0x0200 to 0x07FF and base RAM at 0x0B00 and 0x0F00
  • For correct operation the VDU TOPPAGE signal needs to be connected to PS1, to use 2 pages of video RAM, and connected to VDU Graph_nChar input to generate a top page of characters and lower page of graphics (or visa-versa)
  • The LED display still functions as per the original game
  • Keys 1 to 7 set the thrust. Key 0 to kill the motor. Any system key to restart the game at any point
Here's a comparison of the original LED display to the new VDU display. The information for the increased fidelity in the VDU version is already in the original game - it just needed displaying.

Code:
=====================================================================================!
! Feature    ! LED Display                      ! VDU Display                        !
!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!
! Altitude   ! 3 digits. 0-999. 999=touch down  ! 4 digits. 0-9999. 0000=touch down  !
! Velocity   ! 2 digits. Unsigned (absolute)    ! 3 digits. Signed. -ve = Ascent     !
! Thrust     ! Not displayed                    ! 1 digit. 0-7                       !
! Fuel       ! 1 digit. 0-5. F=empty            ! 2 digits. 0-88. 0=EMPTY            !
!------------------------------------------------------------------------------------!
There are 2 additional features
  • Random starting altitude from 600 - 977
  • On touchdown a graphic indicates how good the landing was

Velocity >=30 = Crash landing;
    Velocity >=10 and <30 = Hard landing
    Velocity <10 = Perfect landing
Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip moonlander_v1.zip (24.2 KB, 26 views)
Realtime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2023, 7:25 pm   #2
Timbucus
Octode

Default Re: MK14 Games Compendium - Xmas 2023

Oh xmas pressies - can't wait for the weekend to try this - thank you...
Timbucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2023, 10:05 pm   #3
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I had a go at the beta a little while ago (Thanks Realtime) - I can 'win' the original version every time because it always starts at the same speed and altitude, whereas this version randomises the starting altitude, so I can't play my 'system' any more.

I ran it on OrtonView (with Mark1960's 74LS74 patch for the memory corruption issue in place) because I guessed it had probably been thoroughly tested on RealView - it worked well and ran for several hours without any bits going missing - not that it would have been Realtime's fault if they had, but this program is a very good stress test for OrtonView because it uses virtually all of the standard, optional and extra-extra RAM (0200-07FF).

Genuinely replayable, and Realtime's game end 'verdict' graphics are a nice touch as well.
SiriusHardware is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2023, 6:01 pm   #4
Realtime
Hexode

Here's the next new program for the MK14 - Snake, a classic vintage game where you have to steer the snake around the screen and eat the 'apples' (asterix).

Name:	Snake Screen.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	289658
The program operates in character mode and has a very simple user interface.

Key 1 to turn left
Key 3 to turn right
GO to start a game

For each apple that the snake eats it's body length increases by one segment up to a maximum length of 126 segments. If you achieve that then you win!! I can typically get 30-40 segments before the snake eats itself. Feel free to share your top scores

Snake requires continuous memory from $0200 to $07FF and base RAM at $0F00.

Happy snaking!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip snake_v1.zip (20.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 20th Dec 2023, 5:58 pm   #5
coolsnaz2
Tetrode

Next new program for the MK14 – Tetris, inspired by my visit to the Retro Computer Festival 2023.

Key 2 moves object down, you get more points the higher the object is dropped.
Key 4 moves object to the left
Key 6 moves object to the right
Key C rotates object clockwise
Key D rotates object counter clockwise

You get points for completing lines, Single 40, Double 100, Triple 300, and TETRIS 1200. The points awarded goes up with each level completed.

I have tried to keep the game as close as possible to the original Tetris on Game Boy. Unfortunately I run out of memory on the MK14, so high scores are not kept.

Tetris needs continuous memory from $0200 to $07FF, $0B00 and $0F00, with the video memory at $0200 to $03FF.

The program has been developed on a Raspberry Pi with PiView and FastLoader installed, and has been tested on RealView. I hope to create a YouTube video next year showing the setup used.

I would like to thank Realtime for testing and suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20231220_162815.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	289965   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231220_163826.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	289966   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231220_163855.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	289967  
Attached Files
File Type: zip tetris_v21r.zip (21.4 KB, 16 views)
coolsnaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2023, 9:58 pm   #6
Timbucus
Octode

Wow - they are coming faster than I can set up my machine and transfer them to the PI Loader
Timbucus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Dec 2023, 4:57 pm   #7
ChrisOddy
Pentode

and I have it working on my MK14E at last !

thanks Ian
ChrisOddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2023, 12:18 am   #8
ortek_service
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsnaz2 View Post
Next new program for the MK14 – Tetris, inspired by my visit to the Retro Computer Festival 2023.
>>
>>
I have tried to keep the game as close as possible to the original Tetris on Game Boy. Unfortunately I run out of memory on the MK14, so high scores are not kept.

Tetris needs continuous memory from $0200 to $07FF, $0B00 and $0F00, with the video memory at $0200 to $03FF.

The program has been developed on a Raspberry Pi with PiView and FastLoader installed, and has been tested on RealView. I hope to create a YouTube video next year showing the setup used.

I would like to thank Realtime for testing and suggestions.
I'm wondering how did you get the screenshot with characters in colour
- Is this only on a special virtual all-in-software emulator version ?
Or is there a enhanced VDU now available (Maybe PiView / Realview?), that has added colour ?
(although finding extra memory in the MK14 map for that, might be difficult).
ortek_service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Dec 2023, 10:46 pm   #9
coolsnaz2
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ortek_service View Post

Or is there a enhanced VDU now available (Maybe PiView / Realview?), that has added colour ?

ortek_service The screenshot is from PiView, which has the ability to change the colour for individual characters. The PiView software is still being developed but can currently produce colour for individual games. I still have a few PiView boards available for forum members.
coolsnaz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2023, 3:08 am   #10
ortek_service
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolsnaz2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ortek_service View Post

ortek_service The screenshot is from PiView, which has the ability to change the colour for individual characters. The PiView software is still being developed but can currently produce colour for individual games. I still have a few PiView boards available for forum members.
Thanks for the info. So I take it PiView is providing a semi-permanent (set by configuration) colour change on a character by character basis (kind of a more advanced update on applying coloured strips over mono CRT / LED display on vintage electronic games machines etc). And the colour isn't under direct-control of the MK14, which might be difficult to implement retrospectively and maintain compatibility.

I might be interested in building a PiView, once I get receive the adaptor board PCB to add RAM to finish my MK14 replica. But need to decide which version of VDU to go for (or maybe get one of each to try, as a few others seem to be).
ortek_service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Dec 2023, 9:42 pm   #11
Realtime
Hexode

In terms of advancing the capabilities of the MK14 VDU PiView is the way forward, IMHO . Not one for the purists, perhaps, but the quality of the display is outstanding and there’s the ability to add new features (additional fonts, colour,etc) without hw modifications. You can even record the display direct to the RPi’s drive for use in videos etc.

Last edited by Realtime; 25th Dec 2023 at 9:48 pm.
Old 27th Dec 2023, 7:26 pm   #12
Realtime
Hexode

Here is the final MK14 game for 2023 - a one armed bandit called Jackpot.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	290226

You have 10 credits at the start of a game. Use your luck and judgement to build the Hi-Score and gain bonus credits. The Hi-Score is maintained until the game is reset. Use the HOLD feature to stop individual wheels from spinning.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	290227

Keys:
1 to HOLD left wheel
2 to HOLD middle wheel
3 to HOLD right wheel
GO to spin the wheels or start a new game

This photo mark-up shows how bonus credits are indicated (too little memory left for anymore text).

Name:	4.png
Views:	39
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	290228

Winning combinations and bonus credits, as follows:
Code:
            Same Left and        Same Left and 
Symbol      Middle Wheels        Right Wheels        3 wheels the same
=======================================================================
             Points   Bonus      Points    Bonus      Points     Bonus	 
Pound           2       0          8         0         16          0
Horseshoe      10       0         24         0         48          1
Lucky 7        18       0         40         1         80          2
Bell           26       0         56         1        112          3  
Star           34       1         72         2        144          4
Spiral         42       1         88         2        176          5
SCMP           50       1        104         3        208          6
MK14           58       1        120         3        240          7
As always, it requires continuous memory from 0x0200 to 0x07FF and base RAM at 0x0B00 and 0x0F00 and, as shown in the photo's, the VDU is operating in split character / graphics mode. The code includes triggers for a sound module - Pull Handle, Hold and Payout. These may not be useful for everyone but they will be a feature of the YouTube video that I'll post in the coming days. If you want to know more about the sound trigger interface let me know.

Special thanks to Coolsnaz2 who tested the beta versions and made many suggestions to improve the look and feel of the game.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	290229

Wishing you all a very happy and healthy 2024!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Jackpot_v2.zip (325.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 10th Mar 2024, 10:11 pm   #13
Realtime
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtime View Post
In the run-up to Christmas and the New Year myself and Coolsnaz2 will be posting some new games for the MK14.

The first one is a new version of Moon Lander.
I finally got around to posting a video here