UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2023, 10:02 am   #21
Valvepower
Octode

Default Re: Philips electronic kits.

Wow there’s a blast from the past!

I was given the EE8 kit for my birthday 1966. I built the single transistor radio and I clearly remember ‘secretly’ listening in my bed to the Ten O’clock news on what would have been the Home service.

I remember going to the Radio Constructor Centre in Westcliff, to buy a replacement AF116 as I broke a leg off the one, I had in the set…

I remember seeing the organ, but couldn’t make it as I only had the EE8 kit at the time…

A few years later I got a Radionic set No3 and built the Radionic Organ E/507 which was available as an ‘E’ project… Crikey, heading down a rabbit hole…

Terry.
Old 11th Jul 2023, 2:00 pm   #22
Sideband
Dekatron

Thoroughly enjoyed my EE8 as a 12 year old. Christmas 1965, first thing I built was the two transistor radio and hearing Christmas songs on the Light Program. There was another experiment suggested by winding a different coil on the ferrite rod for trawler band reception using some of the hook-up wire supplied (bright red as I recall). It worked but needed an aerial to boost reception. By playing around with the turns on the coil, I suddenly found Top Band and heard my first radio hams (lots of AM on Top Band then) so then started my road to SWL later on and building mains valve sets about a year later...... I wonder how many people started their interest and profession with those kits?
Old 11th Jul 2023, 3:42 pm   #23
Junk Box Nick
Octode

My kit EE8 plus A20 arrived in 1966. I had hours and hours of fun with it. I too made the ‘trawler band’ coil but not many trawlers to hear in the middle of England. Dad strung an aerial from my bedroom window to a broom stale on the end of the shed. “Humber Radio! Humber Radio! Humber Radio!”

I still have the kits rescued from my late parents’ loft.

I raided the kits for components in later years but some years ago I picked up some incomplete sets in an attempt to make mine complete once more. All currently stored away so I can’t remember what might be over but I’m likely to have some spares.
Old 11th Jul 2023, 4:06 pm   #24
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Speakers could be salvaged from small transistor portables otherwise destined for the dump.
The original speakers had an unusually high impedance - 80 or 120 ohms, I can't remember which - so that they could be used in a simple transformerless class A output stages or as mics. I'm sure mine had an AC128 for the speaker projects, but it's a long time ago now.
Old 11th Jul 2023, 4:11 pm   #25
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think the speakers were actuallly a nominal 150 ohms.

Later on, certainly on the Continent where there were many later series of such kits, Philips supplied a 15 ohm (I think) speaker and a matching transformer. There's a note about it on the .no site mentioned earlier.
Old 11th Jul 2023, 4:38 pm   #26
Cobaltblue

This is one of the accessories that I which I could have got as a kid.

The long wave conversion kit, the coil is alongside the standard ferrite rod and MW coil.

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-07-11 at 16.34.20.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	281188   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-07-11 at 16.34.20 (2).jpg
Views:	71
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	281189   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2023-07-11 at 16.34.20 (1).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	281190  
Old 11th Jul 2023, 5:15 pm   #27
mole42uk
Nonode

I had the EE8 as a Christmas gift, long since gone, and more recently bought another one and the upgrade kit. The only problem with both is that the springs and wire loops are in short supply and those that I do have tend to be rather discoloured and don't help make good electrical contact :-(

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 11th Jul 2023, 5:27 pm   #28
Cobaltblue

You can get new springs

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304810002482
Old 11th Jul 2023, 5:37 pm   #29
Jez1234
Banned

Wow that brings back some memories! I had a later one around 1972-3 ish I guess. It had Lockfit transistors on little squares of PCB. I had a Philips book on electronics which I have always assumed came with it but not sure... being very young at the time etc. Something like "Philips world of electronics" or something on those lines. I remember this book seeming rather grown up and high brow to me at that age, probably more like gcse 16 year olds and over level. The main thing I remember about the book was it had a schematic for a hi fi power amp of maybe 20W as an example of "modern" circuitry which had say 7 transistors in it and as a 7 year old this seemed incredibly complex and mind blowing! When relatives started giving me the odd dead radio etc to play with and take apart I tried to build this amplifier... but at that tender age I was no doubt trying to use an OC71 as a substitute for a 2N3055 etc etc so no it didn't work. I've no idea what happened to that book would love to see one again now! I do still have my Josty electronics book which a bought a few years later around '75 and that's a nostalgia trip to look at now
Old 11th Jul 2023, 11:26 pm   #30
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
This is one of the accessories that I which I could have got as a kid.

The long wave conversion kit, the coil is alongside the standard ferrite rod and MW coil.

Cheers

Mike T
Someone got me the long wave kit for a birthday present. I still have it complete with box and instructions. I was really pleased to be given it as up to that point I had been lumbered with the Home and Third Programme so I could then enjoy a bit of music on the Light. To get Caroline I had to borrow my parents' table portable! The Third was okay if there was a test match and there was also sport on Saturday afternoons - I think it was actually called 'Network 3' for the non-highbrow output.

ISTR the speakers being 50 ohms. The transistors were AF116 AC126 AC126. Sometimes the AC126s required fitting with a basic heat sink.

I had great fun with the intercom and also the organ - there were enough keys to be able to knock out a passable version of the national anthem.
Old 12th Jul 2023, 5:25 pm   #31
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Yes, I've seen those but I need the little wire loops as well.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 12th Jul 2023, 8:14 pm   #32
Cobaltblue

I have made up all of the projects of the EE20 a couple of years back with corroded loops and springs and they worked fine. (as well as they ever did anyway).
The trick is the component wires need to be clean and shiny and make sure they touch (crossing is better if there are only 2 wires) under the spring the spring and hoop only provide the tension not the connection that way.

If you have clean springs I doubt the hoop will have much effect, but of course it will look much nicer

Incidentally when these were new I had issues with poor connections until I adopted this approach.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread