UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jan 2010, 9:49 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Default Source of test card music

Want to listen to a good selection of test card music? Try "Spotify"! It has a free section where you can search for and listen to a wide variety of music and there's also a pay section that allows you to download tracks. You have to apply by filling in details on their home page and you get an e-mail "invite" later (mine took three weeks). Apart from an advert every few tracks, the free section works very well. I've even found some of that "atmospheric" background music they use in travelogues and film inserts that, infuriatingly, you like but can never find out what it's called or who it's by Also old stuff that wouldn't sound out of place from an old radio.
Usual disclaimer, no connection, etc., etc.
Cheers de Pete
Old 9th Jan 2010, 11:21 pm   #2
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Source of test card music

Hi.
Seems you have to be invited to use the "free" version.
Cheers
Trevor
Old 10th Jan 2010, 12:33 am   #3
Dual Standard
Hexode

Access to Spotify is dependent on location, the "free" version was available without invite when the service was first launched in the UK (and may still be available that way in some countries) but is now by invitation only.

Having just checked my account it seems that only paying customers can send out invites so you need to find someone who has a Premium account (I know many Spotify customers but none who have paid up) or pay for access.

Alternatively Apollo Sound sell CDs of test card music and have some MP3 samples on their webiste (click the links on the individual CD track listings).
http://www.apollosound.com/index.php...index&cPath=62

Mike
Old 11th Jan 2010, 11:10 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

the best for light instrumental is arguably the KPM site's 1000 series: this stuff has been used by advertisers, radio and the beeb as test card and talkover beds.

You can listen to whole albums easily (I pipe the sound to a gruding r2r with inbuilt amp) but to download you have to be 'in the trade'.
Old 14th Jan 2010, 3:30 pm   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

The KPM 1000 site is excellent - I wish they still sold albums though I have managed to buy a few Hawkshaw ones.

Did the BBC use the only KPM1000 series (and similar) for test cards / ceefax music at all or did they compose their own?

Dom

Last edited by dominicbeesley; 14th Jan 2010 at 3:32 pm. Reason: pressed send before I'd finished!
Old 14th Jan 2010, 5:40 pm   #6
cmjones01
Nonode

Thanks for the link to the KPM site - it's fantastic!

I was about to recommend a couple of CDs I picked up in a record shop 10 years or so ago: 'Music for TV Dinners', which is a sort of greatest hits of (mostly) KPM music. However, a quick Google revealed that they are currently going for anything up to $270 on Amazon! Don't do that, then...
Old 14th Jan 2010, 6:29 pm   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Thanks Ben, just what I need for brushing up my corney voice overs!

Not 'arf.
Old 14th Jan 2010, 6:55 pm   #8
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I have a copy of Test Card Classics, bought many years ago. Compiled by occasional forum visitor "test card girl". Still available at a fair price:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Test-Card-Cl...3491506&sr=8-1

There also seems to be a volume 2:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Test-Card-Cl...=pd_sim_m_h__1

And a whole series of CDs, at least 8 of them:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Test-Card-Mu...=pd_sim_m_h__2
Closed Thread