UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 29th Mar 2009, 8:14 pm   #1
ObltKg4
Retired Dormant Member

Default Need Help... N.E. Mk 1 WW2 1943 Field Telephones

I recently purchased to Canadian Army Field Telephones dated 1943 at a military show. I am new at this particular item and need a little help with the operation of the unit.

Is anyone familiar with Northern Electric Telephone Set "F" Mk 1 operation?
I am looking for a sufficient battery where none are included in both sets?
Also, any idea of the value of both which are in working 8 of out 10 cosmetic condition?

Thanks
David
Old 29th Mar 2009, 8:21 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Need Help... N.E. Mk 1 WW2 1943 Field Telephones

You should be aware that this is a UK forum and most members are British. Canadian forces did use some British designed telecoms equipment during WW2, usually manufactured locally, but there's no reason to think that this telephone is a UK design and nobody here may have experience with it.

Hope I'm wrong of course

Paul
Old 29th Mar 2009, 11:06 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Given, however, that it is described as "Telephone Set 'F'", it may not be so very different from the British sets with which it shares the name.

As far as batteries are concerned, the British sets use two 1.5V cells in series. Here is a link to a picture of an original, but "D" cells are areasonable substitute.

A picture might well be helpful.

Last edited by Dave Moll; 29th Mar 2009 at 11:13 pm. Reason: add info. about original cells
Old 30th Mar 2009, 8:38 am   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObltKg4 View Post
I recently purchased to Canadian Army Field Telephones dated 1943 at a military show. I am new at this particular item and need a little help with the operation of the unit.
Have a look at my 'Flickr' site and see if your model is similar to the ones shown. There's a UK type 'D' and type 'F'. I understand both models were used by commonwealth countries during WWII.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 30th Mar 2009, 10:31 pm   #5
ObltKg4
Retired Dormant Member

Based on my understanding, including Canadians forming part of the core of the British Forces during the war upto and including August 1944 when the Canadian 3rd army was constituted, Canadian manufactured field comms were a 'shared' resource.

UK input is generally usefull given the history of our combined shared equipment.

Thanks for all your help. Hope I get a manual of sorts for it...
Cheers,
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
You should be aware that this is a UK forum and most members are British. Canadian forces did use some British designed telecoms equipment during WW2, usually manufactured locally, but there's no reason to think that this telephone is a UK design and nobody here may have experience with it.

Hope I'm wrong of course

Paul
Old 30th Mar 2009, 10:44 pm   #6
ObltKg4
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you all for you assistance and reply.

Your British WWII Military Field-Telephone, Type 'F' Mk: II. is essentially similar to the Mk 1 with exception to some design modifications / enhancements.

I will be in London in June. Would you have a suggestion where, or a lead to get 2 or 4 of an adequate battery?

Cheers,
David

Cheers,
David Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Quote:
Have a look at my 'Flickr' site and see if your model is similar to the ones shown. There's a UK type 'D' and type 'F'. I understand both models were used by commonwealth countries during WWII.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	24177  
Old 30th Mar 2009, 10:47 pm   #7
ObltKg4
Retired Dormant Member

Any idea what both would be valued at the the avg. enthusiast here?
Old 31st Mar 2009, 11:44 am   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The original (no. 12) cells are no longer available, but old ones are sometimes available via the likes of eBay. Obviously, the actual cells are unlikely to have any useful charge in them, but they are almost identical to those inside a 996 lantern battery (the 6V battery with spring terminals on top).

If you unscrew the terminals on the no. 12 cell and prise open the flaps at one end of the case - probably the bottom would be best - the cell should slide out of the case. Once the terminals have been removed from the original cell, they can be soldered to the side of the cell extracted from the 996, which can then be reinserted into the cardboard case of the no. 12.

Alternatively, there is a member of this forum (located in the USA) who may be willing to make reproduction cases into which a modern "D" cell can be inserted. I'll leave it to him to post if he feels able to offer help.

The other option, if you're not worried about the appearance of the cells, is simply to use two "D" cells in series, as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Plastic cases are available for this purpose.

As far as value of your sets is concerned, I notice from your picture that you have the wooden cases, which is a good thing, and given that your sets look in quite reasonable condition, I would expect to pay about £15-£20 for one in this country (I'll leave you to convert that into Canadian dollars), but I'm afraid I'm not in the market for them as I already have a number of British ones and the cost would be totally swamped by the cost of shipping such a heavy item across the Atlantic anyway.
Old 31st Mar 2009, 12:37 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Thank you all for you assistance and reply.

Your British WWII Military Field-Telephone, Type 'F' Mk: II. is essentially similar to the Mk 1 with exception to some design modifications / enhancements.
I've just had a look at your thumbnail, and the hand-set appears to be that from a type 'D' instrument. Is that a 'push-to-talk' switch I see? I would suggest, if it is, that it isn't the original hand-set, as there is a cradle-switch for the hand-set mounted directly in front of the magneto generator (an older version than the British version, by the looks of it - has it got two horse-shoe magnets in it?). I 'blew' your circuit up to the best of my ability and the hand-set, shown pictorially, doesn't appear to have a switch fitted.

Our type 'F' (your instrument also?) was meant for 'back-office' duties, and was effectively a more robust desk instrument, hence the use of a cradle-switch. The type 'D' was a 'battlefield' telephone, and could function in any position.

Any chance of a picture of the schematic?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 1st Apr 2009, 2:24 am   #10
ObltKg4
Retired Dormant Member

Hi, thanks for your great suppostion and information.
Please contact me for hires images.
Thanks again,
Cheers
David

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 1st Apr 2009 at 5:45 am. Reason: E-mail address removed from post - use PM. Quote removed, not necessary.
Old 4th Apr 2009, 4:04 am   #11
ObltKg4
Retired Dormant Member

Attached scematic.
Thoughts?

Our type 'F' (your instrument also?) was meant for 'back-office' duties, and was effectively a more robust desk instrument, hence the use of a cradle-switch. The type 'D' was a 'battlefield' telephone, and could function in any position.

Any chance of a picture of the schematic?[/QUOTE]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sch..jpg
Views:	365
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	24303  
Old 4th Apr 2009, 10:54 am   #12
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Attached scematic.
Thoughts?
Thoughts are that it is indeed a Type 'F', but a Mk 1. Compare with the Mk II, shown below.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 4th Apr 2009, 1:36 pm   #13
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post

Thoughts are that it is indeed a Type 'F', but a Mk 1. Compare with the Mk II, shown below.

Well, I tried to post the pic, but to no avail. Likely I've posted the pic before and am prevented from showing it again, so there's a link here.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 4th Apr 2009, 1:39 pm   #14
Station X

The forum software does not allow the same image to be posted more than once. An easy way round this is to crop the image slightly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	telephone_type_F.gif
Views:	312
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	24310  

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Apr 2009, 2:33 pm   #15
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
'...an easy way round this is to crop the image slightly...'
Excellent tip; many thanks! Not much difference in circuitry - I am guessing that the 'F' Mk.II took advantage of the 'Magneto Generator 26' (Alinco magnet) rather than the 'Generator No:4' which seems to be fitted to the Canadian model. Perhaps a different mic insert as well (in the correct handset, of course!)

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 12th Apr 2009, 4:43 pm   #16
ObltKg4
Retired Dormant Member

Apparently; why reinvent the wheel.
I have yet to test both units, but I was told by the seller he has used for over 40 years.
Both are in impressive condition. I will likely test once I establish a musuem over the coming years.
Thanks for your input
Cheers,
David
Closed Thread