UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2013, 7:13 pm   #21
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Building Darius converter - some parts NLA

Hi Mikey.

You can indeed use two 74HCT40103s in place of a 74HCT4059 for the divide by 283 function. Darius did this in his Mk1 converter, see Blatt 10 dated 26/12/04. I can't seem to find Darius's website at the moment for reference to his circuit.

See also Peter Scott's modified circuit here:
http://www.scottpeter.pwp.blueyonder.../newscheme.jpg

RS Components stock the 74HCT40103 counter ics under part no. 652-279.

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 4th Jan 2013 at 7:14 pm. Reason: text
Old 4th Jan 2013, 8:04 pm   #22
Mikey
Triode

Hi Symon,

Thats an interesting mod by Peter Scott, thanks. I have just recieved the CXL's from JH comps, i'm impressed. I guess I now need to look at the various design variations and consider the overall construction details & whether its worth doing a new PCB layout or start a pin/wire prototype. Some components are surface mount & im used to doing quick PCB prototyping.

Regards.

Mike
Old 4th Jan 2013, 8:36 pm   #23
Mikey
Triode

Further to my prevoius post I have come across the following site:-
http://normwandler.blogspot.co.uk/20...einfhrung.html

I believe it's Darius's blog & has the MK I cct diags
Old 4th Jan 2013, 9:25 pm   #24
Philips210
Nonode

Thanks Mikey for the link.
I had been trying, without success, to access Darius's original website, where he had the circuits for the Mk1 version.

Regards
Symon.
Old 4th Jan 2013, 9:35 pm   #25
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
Some components are surface mount & im used to doing quick PCB prototyping.
Mikey, I've used SOIC to DIL adapters when doing prototypes using surface mount ICs. I had some 8-pin adapter PCBs from ebay a few years back. You then just solder two 4-pin SIL headers to the adapter PCB and carefully fit the SM device. The completed adapter with IC can then of course be used with a normal IC socket.

Regards
Symon.
Old 5th Jan 2013, 12:40 am   #26
julie_m
Dekatron

I remember having to make something like that once, in order to use ICs that were only available as SMDs with copper strip breadboard. I did it by soldering fine lengths of bare wire to each lead of a surface-mount SOIC, and then soldering the wires to the receptacles of a normal-sized IC socket.
Old 26th Jan 2013, 1:19 pm   #27
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I've finally reassembled my converter and installed it into the cabinet that was bought for it in 1984. There are still few minor jobs to to do to it.
This is the version I built in 1990 and has only one line interpolator. A year later an improved version was made with two line interpolation.
I intend to do a reconstruction of the two line IPL converter but it will have be much later in the year. Too many other tasks to do at present.
The TV set is the Marconi VT161.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC32.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	75421  
Old 16th Feb 2013, 1:21 pm   #28
Mikey
Triode

Hi Symon,

Have been away from this for a few weeks so trying to catch up on this thread. I am now attempting to do a layout of the CCD board of Darius's converter. It Will probably be a pin & wire construction on tinned matrix board you can get from Farnell or RS. In post #8 you have a picture of the board but the image is a bit blurred. I would be grateful for a clearer version so I can use the component labels to get the layout similar.

Regards.

Mike
Old 16th Feb 2013, 1:51 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

A standards converter could be done as a programming exercise with a large-ish programmable gate array. There's certainly enough fast RAM in many of them for a full frame store for both incoming and outgoing standards, and pseudo-ROM for a few test-cards.

An interesting project for a final year student?

David
Old 16th Feb 2013, 10:24 pm   #30
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Mikey.

I've taken a couple of pics of the CCD board. There is also the component overlay diagram and a pic of the blank PCB before assembly which should be helpful. Note the CXL5508M ics in pic3.

I did notice an error on the blank PCB, C27 and C29 are transposed, though that won't be important if you're only using it as a general guide as you'll be using the circuit diagram circuit diagram for reference. C27 and C29 are correctly marked on the overlay diagram.
If the overlay is not quite clear enough, then I can send you my original, just send me a PM if necessary.

One thing worth mentioning, get the A4 circuit diagrams blown up to A3, you'll be glad you did as it makes it much easier to follow, and saves on eye strain.

I connected the CCD and clock boards with 0.1" connectors but there is little room on the boards for these. In some cases, I soldered extension connectors to the board mounted connector so the socket cleared the components. Obviously, if you're doing your own layout then it's worth giving yourself plenty of space for any connectors.
Personally I wouldn't mind the circuit occupying say three times the area so that it's easier for servicing.

If you need any more pics and for the Clock board then let me know.
I have taken many pics of the various waveforms on the scope and noted all transistor voltages in case of future problems.

Regards
Symon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CCD1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	76291   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCD2.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	76292   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCD3.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	76293   Click image for larger version

Name:	CCD4.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	76294  
Old 17th Feb 2013, 12:08 am   #31
Mikey
Triode

Hi Symon,

Many thanks for the details of the board layout. I agree that it could be made on a bigger scale. I will do this but keep the relative component positions about the same. If I have a ground plane then it should not be that critical.

Regards.

Mike
Old 5th May 2016, 11:22 pm   #32
Philips210
Nonode

Hi

I wonder how Mike got on with his standards converter?

Regards
Symon.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 9:15 pm   #33
Mikey
Triode

Hi Symon,

Its been a while since I logged onto this forum and posted. I did make a start with Darius's analogue converter. I have a PCB CAD layout tool and produced Gerber artwork for the analogue and timing boards. Unfortunately the project has stalled for a couple of years for various reasons including moving home. However I do intend to start it up soon along with a couple of TV restoration projects waiting in the queue of jobs to be done. Hopefully I will bev able to post some progress sometime soon.

Regards.

Mike
Old 27th Jul 2016, 9:30 pm   #34
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philips210 View Post
See also Peter Scott's modified circuit here:
http://www.scottpeter.pwp.blueyonder.../newscheme.jpg
Apologies for the dead link. Virgin media stopped supporting web hosting. For what it's worth I've put here

Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newscheme.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	127879  

Last edited by AC/HL; 27th Jul 2016 at 11:13 pm. Reason: Image uploaded
Closed Thread