UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2017, 1:20 am   #1
Rhgbristol
Triode

Default Fluke 73 multimeter - slow to respond.

I have a Fluke 73 multimeter which I had since new back in the late 1980s.

Of late, it seems to take a very long time to take a resistance measurement - with the digital display counting up slowly - almost minutes - to reach the value being measured.

When it gets there, the reading is accurate enough, (having tried it on various resistance values on my calibration box). Originally, it would have displayed the correct reading almost straight away.

I have replaced battery, new leads and checked inside for anything visually obviously, but all looks ok.

Other ranges work as they always did.

Any ideas?

Nothing obvious when searching this problem / symptoms on line.

The meter is too good to throw away, but not worth paying to have repaired, as I have other multimeters.

Thank you
Old 19th Feb 2017, 10:43 am   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: fluke 73 multimeter - slow to respond

I've had a lot of luck in situations like this with brushing the boards with IPA and a tooth brush. There are very high impedance points on the board which act as capacitors and low pass filters if dirt gets on them.
Closed Thread