UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2017, 5:38 pm   #1
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Do diodes, switching diodes or zeners go anymore leaky than transistors?

Hi,

As the title says, are diodes likely to become anymore leakier than transistors over time, or does it depend on their aplication and what they do?

Thanks, Paul.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:02 pm   #2
ionburn
Heptode

Default Re: Do diodes, switching diodes or zeners go anymore leaky than transistors?

Without going into details I suspect that it would depend on the type and it's working environment (localised stresses). Some components are notoriously unreliable (eg tin whiskered germanium transistors). I may well be corrected in the wider case, but I have come across more leakage issues with transistors than diodes, especially when considering the total short type of leak.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:02 pm   #3
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Re: Do diodes, switching diodes or zeners go anymore leaky than transistors?

Thank you ionburn, yes that's a helpfull bit of imformation, it's always intreaging to hear what others have exspirenced over the years.

Paul.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 1:17 am   #4
kalee20
Dekatron

Do they go leaky, or are they always leaky?

Switching diodes do tend to be more leaky than transistors, especially Shottky diodes. Small gold-doped diodes like the ubiquitous 1N4148 are nanoamps leaky - the gold acts as recombination centres which gives a big improvement in reverse recovery time, but has the side effect of making them leaky. By comparison, a junction FET gate-channel can be used as a diode with picoamp reverse leakage.

Zener diodes - low-voltage types - have a rather soggy 'knee' and it's a bit difficult to say whether they are leaking or whether the onset of breakdown is being approached. Higher-voltage types (>15V) are more abrupt, and below the rated voltage have very little leakage.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 3:46 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Over-voltage leading to breakdown, even if the current is limited, will lead to progressively worsening leakage, reduced gain and worsening noise figure.

David
Old 18th Feb 2017, 2:46 pm   #6
Stylo N M
Heptode

Yes i soppose over voltage would be a major factor, it seems the humble diode other than that, seems to go on forever, unless as you say it gets overloaded.

And of course, the odd faulty one on rare accasions

Paul.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 4:37 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Over-voltage leading to breakdown, even if the current is limited, will lead to progressively worsening leakage, reduced gain and worsening noise figure.
What about Zener diodes, which are specifically designed to spend most of their working lives in reverse breakdown?

I've seen LEDs used as self-rectifiers on mains, and even switched mains being fed -- not exactly straight, but via only a suitably-sized resistor -- into the base of a small-signal transistor. This on supposedly long-lasting domestic appliances.

So I guess some devices must be more robust than others .....
Old 18th Feb 2017, 5:30 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Zener diodes have rather extreme doping profiles and large areas to survive their harsh treatment.

The special small area diodes used as microwave noise sources are also operated in their avalanche breakdown mode. Their design too is special in order to stop their noise characteristic changing over time. The tiny diode region is surrounded by a ring of heavily doped material to prevent dopant migration. More info in the HP journal article on the 346A noise source, for example.

David
Old 18th Feb 2017, 6:13 pm   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In my experience, "it depends".

As part of his MBA an acquaintance got access to internal statistics and did a costing-focussed analysis of the replaced-under-warranty failures of alternators made by Hitachi and NipponDenso (as fitted to pretty much every Japanese car for some decades). Each alternator has 9 diodes (six high-current ones to rectify the high-current 3-phase output, and three low-current ones to provide a lower 'excitation' current to the rotor/regulator).

Paradoxically, the three low-current diodes were the most-frequent-to-fail, Even so, the failure numbers were minimal compared to brush/slip-ring and bearing failures.

Personal experience: the front-end 'bridge' on SMPS often go bad particularly after thunderstorms [the trip-reclose-trip-reclose-trip-reclose-tripout cycle on a 'problem' overhead line doesn't help].

Then the next-favourite failure is in modern gear - things like TVs and monitors - where you may have several power-diodes run in parallel without current-sharing resistors. OK, if they all come from the same bandolier there's a good chance they all came from the same wafer so their characteristics *should* be pretty close so you should be able to get away without sharing-resistors.

If one diode goes S/C you need to replace all three with new ones *from the same bandolier* to get any hope of a match. Thankfully such diodes are dirt-cheap compared to the days when I advocated replacing all four Motorola bipolar transistors in a 600-Watt HF linear amplifier because one had failed after a 'high SWR' incident and this 'could have' damaged the other three. . . .

Four new transistors cost about the same as the bench-tech's weekly salary.
Closed Thread