UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2017, 3:59 pm   #1
Philips210
Nonode

Default Solartron Test Gear Service Information

Hi

Reading through this thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=74904 has got me interested in servicing my Solarton LM1420.2 Voltmeter. I believe it was built around 1965/66. What I'd like to ask is, does anyone have any service information available for this model?

I am also still looking for service information for a Solartron EM1616 Frequency Counter. Can anyone help me on this as well?

Regards
Symon.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 4:33 pm   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Solartron Test Gear Service Information

Solartron.
I posted details of the manuals and other information which I have on Solartron / Schlumberger / Enertec a couple of years ago.
I have the manual for the digital voltmeter LM1420 somewhere, and will see if I can find it. Perhaps let me know what you want. It will be too large to post.
There is virtually nothing available on the UK forum about Enertec equipment, such as the Enertec EM1616 counter. Some cries for help in the past. I have information upon a couple of Enertec oscilloscopes.
Have you searched the Forum?

The US-French oil services and data logging company Schlumberger bought Solartron to get their computer and digital recording expertise in 1962, and among others, Enertec and CRC in France. Digital voltmeters remained at Farnborough, while oscilloscopes and signal generators went to St Etienne.
Many of the key engineers at Farnborough / Thames Ditton left to start or joined other companies: Telequipment, Dynamco, Belix are some of the names I have heard mentioned.
wme_bill
Old 17th Feb 2017, 5:47 pm   #3
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Bill.

Thanks for the information regarding the Enertec Co. I did have a search on the Forum but alas no reference other than my request some time back. It looks like it will be difficult to locate information for the EM1616 counter. Maybe a narrowed down search in France might throw up something.

It would be great if you have some info on the LM1420, particularly a circuit diagram would be a good starting point. I can send you something for your trouble. Please PM me on this.

Regards
Symon.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:27 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think I have the LM1420.2 manual somewhere (including the circuit diagrams which are
many pages).

There are minor differences between the LM1420 and the LM1420.2. The main one is that the LM1420 has various signals brought out to a board of solder pins on the back. The LM1420.2 has rather fewer signals there, but has a socket carrying the rest (mainly BCD outputs from each decade, the 'start conversion' and 'conversion complete' signals, etc).

The LM1420.2 could therefore be used with something called the Solartron DTU (Data Transfer Unit), a rack of boards of mostly DTL chips that could turn the LM1420 into an up to 20 channel data logger with real time clock, doing a scan of the inputs every so often and outputting the readings to paper tape or printer.

If you can't get info elsewhere I can see about scanning the manual I have, but it will not be quick.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:01 pm   #5
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Tony,

I am waiting to hear from Bill but that's a very kind offer from you for the service information. It does sound like there's quite a fair amount of data to copy and I don't want to put you any trouble. If you feel that you can help me with it then I am more than happy to pay for your time.
I'll let you know once I know if Bill is able to help.

Thanks again.

Regards
Symon.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 8:55 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The first problem will be to find the manual....

From what I remember it's an A4-size book about 3/8" thick with multiple fold-out pages for the circuit diagrams. It may well be one diagram for each PCB -- there are 8 PCBs in the 'display' area (one counter for each digit, and a logic board that fits between them), the PSU, the boards in the input section, etc. So not tirival to scan, but I can give it a go if you need it.

Do you need the entire manal, or just the circuit, or what?

Incidentally, in the input section (the screened box on the right hand side -- which is electrically isolated from everything else and from ground), there's a black box thing. It's a Weston cell, used to calibrate the instrument...
Old 18th Feb 2017, 10:10 pm   #7
WME_bill
Octode

Solartron 1420.2 digital voltmeter.
I find I have two original copies of the manual, and 1 photocopy. The photocopy is quite readable. The whole manual is a fat booklet, just as Tony Duel remembers, and heavy. Would you feel £6 for the photocopy manual, including postage and paypal fees a fair charge. Or £10 for the original version. Send me a Private Message.
I might be able to find the special plug for the input lead if you want that also.
wme_bill m0wpn
Old 18th Feb 2017, 11:02 pm   #8
karesz*
Heptode

Hallo folks,
a good LM1420.2 (1968) scan is to find on the web_39MB...
Symon, WME Bill wrote 4-years ago, that for Enertec/Solartron EM1616 Counter is nothing to find on the web_nowadays too
Karl

Last edited by karesz*; 18th Feb 2017 at 11:22 pm.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 11:40 pm   #9
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the kind offer of the scans but WME bill has now offered me a manual.

Regards
Symon
Old 18th Feb 2017, 11:46 pm   #10
Philips210
Nonode

Hi Karl.

Thank you for the link to the service manual but I have just had an offer of the manual from WME bill.
Yes, the EM1616 is going to be a challenge to find the service information for. Something will turn up hopefully.

Regards
Symon.
Old 19th Feb 2017, 9:00 am   #11
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I was going to suggest you take up that offer. At the moment I can't find my copy of the manual (found plenty of other Solartron manuals, the CD1400 'scope manual and all the plug-ons, the LM1604 DVM manual, the DTU complete service manual...) but not this one. It's around somewhere....

As for the input connector, something in the back of my mind says that this is something that changed between the LM1420 and LM1420.2. The former has a 2 pin connector (high and low input), the latter 3 pin (also a guard terminal). Do check before obtaining anything.
Closed Thread