UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2017, 1:13 pm   #1
AlanC
Hexode

Default WS38 Junction Box No 2 ZA13348

Hi All,

I need the dimensions of this little junction box which my WS38 is missing. I have the mic and headphones, but not the box.

I am thinking of making a replica one for my WS38 as I've given up hope of obtaining a genuine one, on the very rare occasions they come up for sale they go for stupid money.

My WS38 (its' a Mark II*) is also missing the plug on the end of its cable- but you can still get the Bulgin six pin connectors I think- or at least, a very close modern equivalent and I have a couple of jack sockets that could be made to fit.

So if anyone has one that they can please measure for me I'd be very grateful; plus any tips on how I might fabricate the box itself and something that resembles the bakelite moulding that goes on top with the holes for the mic and tel sockets.

Because my main interest is in getting the WS38 working I'm not bothered about it being too accurate a copy.

There are some excellent pictures of the junction box on this web page on the PA3ESY site.

Thanks,
Alan G0NFY
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:52 pm   #2
Terry295
Tetrode

Default Re: WS38 Junction Box No 2 ZA13348

Hi Alan

My box is, Outside 3-5/16" x 2-7/16" x 1-3/8" material looks like 0.05" steel. The bakelite socket surround is 2-5/16" x 1-9/16" x 5/16". Hope that is of some help.

Sorry can't help with how you could go about making the thing, metal bashing isn't my strong point.

I guess you could use a chunk of black plastic for the socket surround or possibly painted particle board? That may be easier to work than the plastic?

Cheers Terry C
Old 18th Feb 2017, 12:32 am   #3
llama
Octode

I've wondered if sheet copper or brass might be suitable with soldered edges at each corner. The bottom seems to be screwed on, recessed.
Graham
Old 18th Feb 2017, 7:29 am   #4
trh01uk
Octode

Its when you start thinking about the complexities of actually making something as simple as one of these boxes - that you realise that they don't actually go for "stupid money". £100 for an original in good condition compared to the costs of making an accurate replica sounds pretty good to me - unless you have extensive metal bashing facilities which can also produce plastic parts turned up out of solid, plus the connector pins.

Richard
Old 18th Feb 2017, 10:31 am   #5
n_r_muir
Hexode

Hi Richard

I have a WS38 and accessories but they are packed away in the Garage loft somewhere. A small plastic component box would be OK. The main function of the bakelite part is to prevent the squaddie from getting the microphone and headphone jack plugs in the wrong holes. One of the jack plugs has a metal ring around the base so it will only fit flush when it is inserted into the socket with the larger diameter hole. That is only a problem if your headset and microphone have the correct plugs already fitted and you wish to retain authenticity; otherwise fitting a couple of Igranic jack plug sockets would be ok.
I have one original junction box and one home made one in a plastic box. there was no noticeable difference when using either of them.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 6:29 pm   #6
AlanC
Hexode

Hi all,
Many thanks for your help and suggestions, I'm very grateful.

I've seen these go for not far short of £200!

Fortunately I have the correct plugs on my mic and headphones.

Thanks again
Alan