UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:54 am   #1
ediz1999
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bush TV56 find

Hi all, I came across this Bush TV56 on the way home at a junk shop, which I just had to pic up. The back cover is missing, and upon inspection, some of the valves have fallen out of their sockets. Some of the wires would need to be changed, and both the power board and RF board which would need to be sorted out. The casing seems fairly good for it's age too. The tuning knobs are missing, but volume and tone (?) knobs are there. LOPT looks okay, I mean it hasn't crumbled away and there's no noticeable massive chunks missing from it so I think we can assume for now that it's decent. Although I'm afraid this has been kept in a damp environment, on some of the valve pins, there's this egg blue coating of what looks like rust? CRT looks decent too, although the base seemed lose so I secured it with some electrical tape. I'm looking for a circuit diagram for the set. Where should I go looking?
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:32 am   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bush TV56 find

The following may help.

There are 6 pages of data on the TV56 in the 1955-56 Radio & TV Servicing series of books starting on page 259. It is also covered by Trader sheet 1236/T97
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:33 am   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Before attempting to supply mains power to the set start off the restoration by warming up the line output transformer, there will be moisture in the windings. The method I use is to pass a current of 20mA though the EHT overwind. A 15 to 20 volt DC supply will be sufficient to drive the current through the windings.

DFWB.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:59 am   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukcol View Post
........It is also covered by Trader sheet 1236/T97
I have just looked and it turns out that I have a paper copy of this sheet. If you PM me with your email address I will scan it for you.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 1:10 pm   #5
ediz1999
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Pming you now Ukcol.
I've started with just replacing some of those frayed wires.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 1:16 pm   #6
Freya
Octode

It may be worth mentioning that if the frayed wires are connected to the dropper resistors then normal pvc covered wire will not be suitable due to heat generated by the dropper. Silicone covered wire is much better suited to this position.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 2:14 pm   #7
Duke_Nukem
Octode

On the underside of the power chassis there is probably a single board with components mounted on it. If so, check underneath it, there are a number of wires running along its length and then popping up through a hole in the chassis onto the top of the chassis. On my TV62 (very similar chassis) these were badly cracked and almost certainly would have shorted where they bend through the chassis.

For the valve pins, I recommend getting a fibre pen which will clean them up nicely.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 17th Feb 2017, 3:36 pm   #8
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi "ediz1999"

I have just emailed the scan of the Trader sheet to you.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 8:29 pm   #9
ediz1999
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I had to replace one wire which the pvc had decayed that went to the dropper resister. I had also checked and changed a couple of valves which look like they had their vacuum broken, and I also cleaned the pins on the other valves also. I made another quick visual check before I applied power. I used a lamp limiter for the first power up. I only had the two borers connected, I had disconnected the deflection coils and focus ring as I was previously cleaning them. The fuse in the holder was open so I changed it, and then plugged it in. The lamp limiter lit up brightly. The valve filaments didn't light though. Could there be a short? Or a duff valve? I'm sure they're a few shorted or indeed open valves but surely if so, the limiter wouldn't light at all?
Old 17th Feb 2017, 8:47 pm   #10
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Before attempting to supply mains power to the set start off the restoration by warming up the line output transformer, there will be moisture in the windings. The method I use is to pass a current of 20mA though the EHT overwind. A 15 to 20 volt DC supply will be sufficient to drive the current through the windings.
Have you taken David's advice as above Ed? If you don't you could turn a salvageable transformer into one that will need a rewind. I don't know how long this heating method needs to be applied, I would imagine at least 24 hours but David may put me right on that.

You won't have done any damage (yet) because you haven't had the line timebase running.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 8:48 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Cap across the mains input leaky?
Old 17th Feb 2017, 8:55 pm   #12
Freya
Octode

Which fuse was open, you have two, one for the heaters and one for the HT.

I suggest you trace the AC voltage from F2 through the droppers and then the heater chain, when it disappears you will have found the issue.
Don't be tempted to rush this restoration, the advice on the Lopt overwind should be adhered to.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 11:22 pm   #13
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The EHT overwind has a resistance of 375 ohms. When 20 volts is supplied to the winding the power dissipated will be only slightly over 1 watt.
Leave the transformer for at least 24 hours to drive out any moisture.
Current through the overwind will be 53mA. (0.053A) If you have any qualms about passing this current though the overwind then reduce the voltage to say, 15V
DFWB.
Old 20th Feb 2017, 3:55 pm   #14
ediz1999
Retired Dormant Member

I've been busy with work lately but now I have a bit of time for this.
Both fuses were blown, so I'll be taking your advice with the LOPT when I get in tonight. Thanks for the advice. Thanks to 'UKCol' I now have a trader sheet with all the diagrams and such. I'll update the thread with my progress as I go on.
Closed Thread