UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2017, 5:28 pm   #1
Chivsey
Retired Dormant Member

Default Grundig TK 14 restoration?

Hi there,

My Mum has just brought out a Grundig TK 14 reel to reel tape recorder, that has been in storage for some time. I'm told it hasn't been used since the 70s.

I've had a look online (this is how I found this fine forum) and tried to get the recorder to play, however it looks fairly dead. The Knight Rider style eye at the front doesn't light up and there seems to be no powered movement when pressing play or fast forward etc. There appears to me to be rust damage.

My two questions are, is it possible to restore this reel to reel recorder and how easy is it to find something else to play the tape - apparently it has my Grandfather on it.

I've seen a few similar questions have appeared on here in the past, which have given me some information.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old 12th Feb 2017, 2:01 am   #2
radiotechnician
Pentode

Default Re: Grundig TK 14 restoration?

The Grundig TK 14 the smallest of a line that using the mechanism.
The line started around 1961. I might stand to be corrected but the machine may also have been manufactured in Ireland.

It is relatively easy to restore the machine. Have a look at it, and see how the three belts are.

The mechanism should be adjusted, only if necessary, by using the tools mentioned in the service manual.

This machine was one of my favorites, service wise. ( I was so employed in 1962)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grundig TK 14.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	137463  
Old 12th Feb 2017, 10:19 am   #3
Stuart R
Heptode

I'm not an expert in these machines, but we had one of these at home. So here are a few thoughts:

I think the main power switch was combined with the tone thumbwheel. With most of the tape recorders we had in the 70s, once the power was on, the motor would usually start rumbling inside, even before you used any of the play or wind buttons.

That big red button on the right hand side is the record button, but is unlabelled. If you do get the machine running, avoid using (push and turn) this as you run precious tapes through it as you'll wipe the tape.

Sorry if this is repeating information - you may have already dug out the instructions from the 'net.

I do also remember that the 3 fins on the reel table (where you put the tape spool) were rather fragile. I managed to snap them off on ours as a clumsy child 30 years ago. 50 year old plastic may be even less forgiving.

Good Luck

SR
Old 13th Feb 2017, 8:10 pm   #4
Chivsey
Retired Dormant Member

Gentlemen, thank you so much for your responses!

I'm no expert, but I think what's best is if I carefully open it and see what's what inside, thank you for the manual!

I'll keep you updated!
Old 13th Feb 2017, 8:50 pm   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

TK14 a decent tape recorder, definitely not in the budget class that were many U.K. machines.
From memory it has the Wima 'brown toffee' capacitors, they failed in the 60's so any in the machine will require replacing .
Frank
Old 13th Feb 2017, 9:27 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Hi, on the underside of the machine there is a small plastic panel which has two fuses behind it, you access these fuses by removing the four screws which hold the rubber feet in place. There's a possibility that one or both of the fuses may have failed; If they have you will need to replace them with the correct values.

I should also echo what others have already said about replacing the brown 'Wima" capacitors. These are excellent little machines once refurbished and up and running.

Regards

Andrew
Old 13th Feb 2017, 9:56 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

If the rest of the equipment survived, a fuse didn't fail -- it succeeded!

Fuses do sometimes blow for no reason, but nine times out of ten there will be another fault that caused the fuse to blow and if that fault is not repaired, then you are just wasting good fuses at best, and risking making things worse at worst.

Even if the fuses are OK, there is one part that absolutely should be replaced sooner rather than later, just because of the devastation it can wreak if faulty (and it probably is faulty; they deteriorate with age).

However, it probably will be OK for a quick test. But be prepared to switch off quickly in the event of anything untoward (funny smells, sparks, smoke .....)
Old 13th Feb 2017, 10:04 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I have to say that on my TK14, the mains fuse had died due to old age, not because of a fault.

ISTR it's a 1.25" antisurge type.

N.
Old 14th Feb 2017, 2:27 am   #9
ben
Dekatron

Just to reiterate: do any testing with a non-essential tape. There will be no second chances if you wipe anything of value!

Given the fact that various components will need changing in this Grundig, plus a set of new belts most likely are needed, it might not be cost effective to do all this just for one or two tapes. Even less so if you don't feel you have the skills to do this work.

If that is so, it would be safer and /or make more sense to get the tape transferred by an enthusiast (or buy a restored machine locally if you can find one).

See also the thread I made about transferring tapes to PC.

If you decide to go ahead and restore , then there are plenty on here who will advise. Be aware that a quick fix may not be on the cards though!
Closed Thread