UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2017, 11:56 am   #1
llama
Octode

Default Eumig N-S switch (dual std projector)

I've recently become the owner of a Eumig 510D projector which should be ideal for old family cine films which are in both Standard-8 and Super-8 formats. I don't have the projector manual.

There is a switch on the machine labelled N and S.

That could mean Normal and Super, or
it could mean New and Standard, (or even North/South).

Can anyone elucidate, please?
Graham
Old 10th Feb 2017, 1:37 pm   #2
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Eumig N-S switch (dual std projector)

It's most likely N = Normal (standard) and S = Super.

Standard only became standard after the introduction of Super 8 around 1965.
Standard had been the 'norm' for around 30 years previous to this and was just basically 16mm that had been split in two.
Super has a smaller sprocket hole to give more picture area while standard has a 16mm size sprocket hole.
However because Super was contained in a convenient and easy to load cassette it was at the mercy of 'the Friday afternoon' manufactured cassette and back plate tension variations could produce inferior pictures to the manually loaded reel to reel of Standard 8 film.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 2:28 pm   #3
dragonser
Heptode

HI,
could you post a photo of the switch ? I'm not familiar with that model, but there are several possibilities, such as N= normal and s = still .
regards Peter B
Old 10th Feb 2017, 3:38 pm   #4
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Is that the model that can be loaded with a Kodak Supermatic cassette? If so it seems to have a switch for 9 / 18 fps in which case I will take a punt on Normal and Slow.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 6:42 pm   #5
llama
Octode

Thanks for all the responses.
I was told by the vendor that it can take a cassette. However, all my cine films are on open reel.
There is a rotary function switch which runs the machine without the light on, changes speed and puts it into rewind.
The attached photo shows the N-S switch with the cover lowered. As you can see, it is near the optical path and (probably?) where the sprocket/gate would be.

I'm tempted to just try it because my standard 8 films, (the ones I'm in!) all have leader on them so incorrect sprocket choice wouldn't damage valuable content.

Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EumigSw-1a.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	137369  
Old 10th Feb 2017, 6:50 pm   #6
kan_turk
Hexode

I can confirm that: 'N' = Standard 8 (Normal 8 in German) ie the original 8mm format, while 'S' = Super 8, the enhanced format which gave a significant increase in picture area and thus quality for the same film gauge - 8mm wide

Hope this clarifies

Rgds to all
John
Old 10th Feb 2017, 6:58 pm   #7
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,
This http://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?la...pe=Mark%20510D says that format change is by lever on front side and I can't see any other lever.
Yours, Richard
Old 12th Feb 2017, 8:28 pm   #8
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

You could easily confirm this by observing the gate mask while operating the lever.
Old 6th Mar 2017, 4:07 pm   #9
Gulliver
Hexode

I've had several dual gauge 8mm projectors down the years.

I can confirm N = "Normal" (standard 8) and S = "Super" (super or single 8)

With most of these dual gauge projectors, with the lamp on you can observe the mask changing and the image size getting smaller for standard 8 compared to super 8. Just project a white image onto the wall (no film loaded) and experiment.
Old 6th Mar 2017, 5:53 pm   #10
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I have a Eumig dual sound projector. It has a similar switch but you also have to change the gate plate when changing from 8mm standard to 8mm super. These slot in the front end. John.
Old 9th Mar 2017, 7:24 pm   #11
llama
Octode

Well I "went for it" and tried one of the old 8mm cine films. But first I tried the test of running it with no film and just moving the lever between N and S. As expected, the S position produced that larger frame that is correct for Super-8.

The film plays reasonably successfully but there are a few issues. The main problem is a chug-chug as the film intermittently gets snatched through the gate so I wonder if I'm running it on Super-8 sprockets. I can't get the side cover to lower very far which makes film loading very hard and stops me looking into the optics area (which is filthy) and I can't see how to lower the side cover further or remove it. That ought to allow access to the optical area.

It's nice and bright though.
Graham
Old 9th Mar 2017, 8:20 pm   #12
Brigham
Octode

"It's nice and bright, though."

Sounds like the bulb's about finished!

[/pessimist]
Old 9th Mar 2017, 9:16 pm   #13
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Just checked mine. You have to change the gate plate and the sprockets when changing from 8m to 8m Super. Very good projector with plenty of sound. J.
Old 10th Mar 2017, 10:08 am   #14
llama
Octode

I've discovered 2 things: Unscrewing the bottom cover brings with it the side flap so much more is visible. Secondly, in the rewind position the lens block is unlatched and can be folded right back to allow cleaning and to inspect the film path. But I can't see any sprockets for the film to go in! What appears to maybe be sprockets is outside the film path, to the left looking in the direction of the lamp (away from the screen).
Graham
Old 10th Mar 2017, 1:55 pm   #15
emeritus
Dekatron

The simple dual gauge Eumig projectors manage without sprockets. In the one I have the claw is positioned where it will correctly align both Standard 8 and Super 8 film. The more complex sound projectors need them to ensure smooth passage of the film past the sound head. On of my friends has his late father's Eumig sound projector and I showed him how to make the change-over, which did involve changing sprockets and I think the gate.

If you are getting a Chug Chug, I would check that poorly-made splices, such as where the white leader is attached, are not affecting the threading operation. When transferring my late uncle's film to video using a Eumig projector similar to yours, the framing of the film would sometimes shift, accompanied by a chugging sound, and I traced it to poorly-made splices which caused the film to shift slightly. Re-making the affected splices fixed it.
Old 16th Mar 2017, 8:10 pm   #16
llama
Octode

Thanks all - I think the projector is working satisfactorily and will be put to good use transferring my 3 7-inch reels of film onto DVD.

Interesting about the sprockets. Dad used a proper splicing block (which I now own) so I shouldn't have too much bother with the joins. I think the erratic chugging was because I hadn't thought to put the "spool-not-cassette" adaptor in place. The machine seems to pull through enough film to display and then pull through the next tranche. There isn't any back-tension on the feed spool. However, the non-cassette adaptor seems to provide some smoothing action making the feed good enough.

I also didn't have a 7-inch take-up spool, just a little 3-inch one for my tests. I discovered that a 7-inch cine-hub tape spool (BASF 3 spoke I think) can have the centre reamed out to just the right diameter to go on the Super-8 spindle. I was expecting to have to saw a slot but the single drive blade engages with one of the original slots just fine.

I'm covering these details in case it helps someone else!
Graham
Old 16th Mar 2017, 11:19 pm   #17
McMurdo
Dekatron

our bolex also chugs the film through in little leaps looking at the supply reel; no back tension on that either. It does find a dodgy splice though!