UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Feb 2017, 12:17 am   #1
placemat
Triode

Default Replacing an old 2 prong plug...

Hello!
I have recently been given an old National Panasonic tape recorder. I think it might be from the 70s but I'm not 100%.
Basically it had an old two prong plug on the end and yesterday I cut it off to put a new plug on. Both the wires are the same and aren't colour coded so I'm stumped as to which is neutral and live.
I've attached one picture as my iPad won't allow me to add any more, so I'll have to add them in separate posts. I hope you chaps can help as I really want to get this player up and running again if possible!
Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	169
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	137287   Click image for larger version

Views:	144
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	137289   Click image for larger version

Views:	97
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	137290  
Old 9th Feb 2017, 12:18 am   #2
placemat
Triode

Default Re: Replacing an old 2 prong plug...

Image of the recorder...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	126
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	137288  
Old 9th Feb 2017, 12:32 am   #3
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

That looks like a US 110V plug.

I wouldn't be putting anything on the lead without determining the operating voltage of the unit.

The only way to determine L/N will be to get inside the unit and see how the mains is wired (I have an inkling these things had the power switch on the secondary of the transformer, so it wouldn't matter which way round it was wired to the plug, but best to check visually).

Terry
Old 9th Feb 2017, 1:17 am   #4
Nicklyons2
Octode

Many older hi-fi amps had US type sockets for connecting convenience of some of the inputs mainly the turntable but the cassette deck could also be used. My old Marantz had 2. Because these NEMA sockets are really only spec'd for 110/125V systems they fell foul of European safety regulations because they were generally just 'looped' from the mains input which, of course, in most European countries is 220/240 V. As Terry has said MAKE SURE that your cassette unit is set for 220/240 volt input and that you haven't got an imported 110/125 V machine. If it is set for 220/240 you can simply put a UK plug on it BUT note that unsheathed 'figure 8' flex isn't really approved for use on 200V + supplies but, if in good condition and neatly tucked away and also if you're aware of it and the 'limitations' it should be OK; also I'd fit a 2 Amp fuse in the plug. As to the polarity - it shouldn't really matter as this equipment will have a mains transformer isolating nearly everything.

If you wish to be definite open it up and measure the ON/OFF switch. If the Mains ON/OFF switch is double pole it really doesn't matter at all, if it is a single pole ON/OFF switch make sure the wire it breaks is connected to the LIVE.

If the 'Mains' switch isn't in the primary (as Terry suggests may be the case) then the wire connected to the mains tapping adjuster or mains input fuse (inside the unit) is the one which should be connected to the live.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 1:23 am   #5
Grubhead
Heptode

You can of course get an adapter plug for this type of plug, so you didn't need to cut it off!
But the unit might have been made for the UK market, but meant to work off a receiver, which supplied the power for it. You can get this type with a 250 volt rating.
The unit will date to the mid 70's by the look of it.
There should be a label near the mains input which will give the serial number and should list the voltage, plus the model number.
If it is only less than 125 volts, which the plug suggests, you can get an mains adapter on Amazon for it.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 6:34 am   #6
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

If the model plate rates this as 220-240 v you will be OK fitting a 13a plug fused at 3a or 2a if you can find a fuse, A 1a fuse may not be enough but try it. the lower the better.

These "American" 2 pin plugs are horrible. They are used in the far east for 240v mains for which they were never designed. Better to get rid of it than use an adaptor which probably would not have a fuse anyway.

The single insulated cable is not used in the UK but the rest of the world seems quite happy with it. Exercise care.

The new Sony TV I am watching now has the same cable! And the same plug, no fuse at all. But I am in the Philippines where just about anything goes.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 9:16 am   #7
placemat
Triode

Thanks to you all. Let me first say that I'm no electrician, but i've found you guys very helpful!!
I've attached a few more images of the unit with power ratings.
See what you think...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2792.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	137294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2793.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	137295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2794.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	137296  
Old 9th Feb 2017, 11:22 am   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

That's fine.

One wire to L, the other to N (doesn't matter which way round in this instance) and fit a 3A (red) fuse.

I'd date the machine to the mid-1970s. It may well need servicing (new belts etc.) by now. It's a basic unit (with no Dolby noise reduction, for instance) but being a National Panasonic, is probably a reasonable performer nonetheless.

Nick.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 11:30 am   #9
vidjoman
Dekatron

Around the time this was new most amplifiers had power takeoff sockets on the back which this would have fitted. Very common back then. The chassis earth being made by the audio screened leads, this avoided earth loops that might cause hum.
Old 9th Feb 2017, 12:20 pm   #10
placemat
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
One wire to L, the other to N (doesn't matter which way round in this instance) and fit a 3A (red) fuse.
Great, thank you Nick!

Thanks to all for helping. I'll post a quick message once I've done the job to close the thread.
Thanks again!
Old 9th Feb 2017, 12:35 pm   #11
placemat
Triode

Hoorah! Plug fitted with 3A fuse. I gingerly plugged it in and switched it on. Both VU meters lit up green, I put a cassette in and it plays great. Good solid playback and rewind.
Thanks again to you all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2795.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	137311  
Closed Thread