UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2017, 10:36 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Ordering from Maplin

Right place ?
Maplin seem to have two shop sizes ( or so it seems). Larger ones which stock all but web items and smaller stores with only commonly used items. I've found of late ( although it may have been common practice for a while) that if I go into my local store for an item they don't stock, I can pay for it and order it to be sent to my home post free. Beats the idea of ordering on line and paying postage.
Old 5th Feb 2017, 10:39 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Ordering from Maplin

Rather depends on how far you are from the shop!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 5th Feb 2017, 11:36 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Exactly, 1 hour round trip for me, Phone up to make sure it is in stock only to find it is out of stock. They can get item in but must be paid for in person before they put the order through! they can not take card payments over phone. Once paid for they send item post free, a couple of 5 p resistors ?? I don't know.

John.
Old 5th Feb 2017, 11:39 pm   #4
MrBungle
Dekatron

If I'm just buying small parts, I tend to hit RS. RS will cost you between £0.40 - £1.24 for some resistors but you'll get 0.6W 1% 50ppm branded ones. Not only that, you'll get 10-50 of them for that price and it'll ship parcel force next day free of charge.

I've ordered £0.20 of capacitors and got it next day parcel force!

Typical quality parts:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/throug...stors/1251159/

Edit: also if you're lucky they will ship you £40 of varistors by accident and let you keep them and send the original order out free of charge

Edit 2: for "standard" resistors, look out for TE Connectivity LR1F series and Vishay MRS25. Sometimes one is a better deal than the other.

Last edited by MrBungle; 5th Feb 2017 at 11:47 pm.
Closed Thread