UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2017, 11:08 pm   #1
audiomagpie
Heptode

Default 5th FEB, BVWS SPECIAL AUCTION @ RWB!

Sunday 5th February, BVWS EXTRA SPECIAL AUCTION at ROYAL WOOTTON BASSETT! 400 Lots! Set your alarm for an early start! 9am admission for viewing, 10.30am approx. auction start.

Many quality rare items (an auction list will be published nearer to the event) including Radio, early COLOUR & BW TVs, Audio, Test Gear, Communications, Trays of Valves/Components, Workshop Items, etc.

Hot & Cold refreshments all day from Jim's kitchen! BVWS table will be in the side hall selling Capacitors, De-oxit, etc. There will be NO bring and buy table on this occasion, there simply isn't room!

Members only can bid in the auction, so why not contact our membership secretary renew your 2017 membership beforehand? Not a member? You can join on the morning but before 10.00 please, just see a committee member and we'll help you out.

All major CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS ACCEPTED, so flex that plastic and treat yourself!

For directions see: http://www.bvws.org.uk/events/locations.php (but please note special times above for this event)

Looking forward to seeing you there!

BVWS committee chairman
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 9:34 am   #2
greenstar
Octode

Default Re: 5th FEB, BVWS SPECIAL AUCTION @ RWB!

Hi Greg, as it's an earlier start, and I have to travel and pick up a friend, I am wondering about the finish time, and whether this will be earlier. Is this likely?
Thanks,
Tony
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 11:19 am   #3
westcliff
Hexode

Will those of us who have renewed our BVWS membership have received our new membership cards by the date of the auction?
The latest Bulletin stated that they would be sent out in February in time for this year's events.
Gus.
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 12:21 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It won't matter whether you have your membership cards or not, as you will need to be a paid up member on the database to get your bidding card, so we will check automatically at that stage.

You will be able to renew on the day too, but please try to do so as early as possible to minimise delays when people are getting their bidding cards.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 12:26 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Hi Greg, as it's an earlier start, and I have to travel and pick up a friend, I am wondering about the finish time, and whether this will be earlier. Is this likely?
It is difficult to say exactly when it will finish as it depends on the number of lots, how quickly Mike gets through them (better lots that attract more bids obviously take longer) and how quickly everyone pays and removes their items. I would expect everything to be over and the hall mostly cleared by around 4:30pm though.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Jan 2017, 5:51 pm   #6
greenstar
Octode

Paul, is it likely there will be a break mid day? I would guess that is the case and this will affect the timetable. I am thinking of driving safely after an early start and a long day, and planning if I need some lunch.
Old 24th Jan 2017, 9:19 pm   #7
Paul Stenning
Administrator

There will probably be two breaks during the auction, but we normally do not allow people to pay and take their items during the breaks (except in exceptional circumstances agreed with Mike before the auction starts) as otherwise those of us doing the work don't get a break and the day becomes even longer for everyone else.

My time estimate assumes two 10-15 minute breaks.

The kitchen will be open throughout the day too so you can get food and drinks any time. You can also leave at any time of course (assuming you haven't bought anything). If that is likely you may want to sit nearer the back or nearer the kitchen.

Paul Stenning
Old 27th Jan 2017, 11:19 am   #8
Neutrino
Pentode

As parking at the Royal Wootton Bassett Memorial Hall is limited it might be helpful for those unfamiliar with the area to know that off street parking is available in the town centre at Borough Fields, SN4 7AX, a few minutes walk away:
http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/parkingt...ark.htm?ID=114

It was free on Sundays when I used it but it's best to check as parking charges can change.
Old 27th Jan 2017, 3:36 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Tanners Close and other neighbouring residential side roads are unrestricted parking too. Please have respect for the residents by not blocking or restricting driveways, junctions and corners etc.

If you win something that can't easily be carried to you car, you can of course bring your car into the hall car park once there is some space.

There are several banks with cash machines in the town centre (5 minutes walk), however as you can pay for auction purchases by card you will only need a small amount of cash for refreshments.

Paul Stenning
Old 31st Jan 2017, 7:02 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The auction catalogue and photos of many of the auction lots are now available on the BVWS website here http://www.bvws.org.uk/auctions/phot...ootton-bassett

The catalogue is also attached to this post.

EDIT: catalogue removed from this post, see next post.

Paul Stenning

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 1st Feb 2017 at 12:40 pm. Reason: Removed catalogue, see next post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 12:39 pm   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Updated catalogue attached and on the website. Please discard the previous one if you have already downloaded and/or printed it, and refer to this one (there are 17 different items).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BVWS Special Auction 022017.pdf (78.7 KB, 404 views)

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Feb 2017, 2:08 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

There are 17 changed lots, not extra lots.

Paul Stenning
Old 1st Feb 2017, 3:09 pm   #13
ajs37
Heptode

Thanks Paul - much appreciated!
Cheers
Andy
Old 3rd Feb 2017, 6:40 pm   #14
Pamphonica
Nonode

Item 265 is a Marconi model 791D I assume (not 719D), if you are Googling for information on it. (Lovely classic construction like the TF144 sig gen).
Old 4th Feb 2017, 1:37 pm   #15
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
...off street parking is available in the town centre at Borough Fields, SN4 7AX, a few minutes walk away... It was free on Sundays when I used it but it's best to check as parking charges can change.
The Council's website states that it's still free on Sundays, but does anyone know if the car park has a height barrier? Some are so low that my car with roof box is excluded!

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 4th Feb 2017, 4:54 pm   #16
westcliff
Hexode

Hello Phil,

I had a look on Google Earth and there is no height barrier at the Borough Fields car park.

Gus.
Old 4th Feb 2017, 6:04 pm   #17
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks Gus. I agree, no barrier is visible, but ever the pessimist, I thought I'd ask!

Cheers,

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 5th Feb 2017, 8:32 pm   #18
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Just got home after a great but tiring day. Though my day wasn't as long as those who got to the hall at 4:30am to set up, and were still there clearing up when I left at 5pm!

I would like to personally thank those who won and bid on lots 46, 47, 48 and 49, and the BVWS for waiving the commission. You helped raise £132 for the hospice that looked after my late mum towards the end of her life. Everything in lot 46 and some of lot 48 was from around her home.

Thanks also to Russell for doing more than his fair share of the heavy lifting when we were showing the lots today. I strained my left shoulder while moving furniture out of mum's house a few days ago so couldn't hold the heavier items up high.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-05 19.06.56.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	137052   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-05 19.06.37.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	137053  

Paul Stenning
Old 5th Feb 2017, 10:52 pm   #19
ajs37
Heptode

It was a very enjoyable day - thanks to all who helped to organise it! Only bought a couple of things this time - and it was nice to get home in daylight!
Thanks again!
Old 5th Feb 2017, 11:31 pm   #20
Cobaltblue

I bought far more than I should as always!

An awful lot of work went into this event and all volunteers

As BVWS members we all expect the slick events but its all run by volunteers who do not get paid but deliver a great service.

As was pointed out to me the number of members under 40 could be counted without using both hands.

I was still in my 20's when I joined the BVWS but that more than was 34 years ago.

I know the BVWS are attempting to attract new young members its the duty of all vintage radio enthusiast to ensure its success.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread