UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2017, 5:23 pm   #1
bob_weasley
Retired Dormant Member

Question Bolex M8 Projector

Hi Guys,

trying to 're-commission' my mums Bolex M8 projector, so she can see some of her late fathers cine film, but when started up, the capacitor had a bit of a 'melt-down' as attached photo's.

Can someone kindly point me in the right direction for a suitable replacement (RS / Farnell part number ?)

Any assistance gratfully recieved,

Kind regards,

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolex 1a.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	137078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolex 2a.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	137079  
Old 6th Feb 2017, 5:31 pm   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Bolex M8 Projector

That is an interference suppressor 'delta cap'. The projector will function without it although may cause excessive RF interference. Replacements are widely available, try to get one with the correct values. The capacitor section between L & N must be X-rated and those to the case Y-rated, as they invariably will be in any modern suppressor.

There is a concurrent thread about a sewing machine motor that has also popped its suppressor, although in that case it is of the type where the L & N go through the unit and out the other side. Some examples are listed.
Old 6th Feb 2017, 6:48 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Bolex M8 Projector

Hi
My old Eumig P8 standard eight projector did exactly the same thing. I just removed the dead cap and left it at that.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 10th Feb 2017, 7:17 pm   #4
wd40addict
Octode

Back in the day the (Swiss) Bolex was one of the few properly suppressed projectors and would be OK if your neighbour bought a TV! However if you had a (British) Pathescope Gem neighbourly relations would be rather strained!

Maplin Code: RG21X should be suitable
Old 7th Mar 2017, 10:52 pm   #5
bob_weasley
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks gentlemen, a great help as always.
Old 7th Mar 2017, 11:49 pm   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

A true classic, and well worth the effort of restoring. I remember the magazine "Movie Maker" commenting that the lenses fitted to Bolex projectors were outstanding, being some of the few that could actually resolve the grain of 8mm Kodachrome film.
Closed Thread