UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Dec 2016, 1:13 pm   #1
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Hacker Sovereign 3 Tuning Scale

I have a working Hacker Sovereign 3 (S/N: 08972) which actually has the telescopic aerial, handle and the battery holder! What is doesn't have is a tuning scale in good condition.

I was reading another thread on here where Howard Craven says he used Tamiya Acrylic paint to touch up the black bits on the scale. So I ordered some and some Tamiya masking tape. This stuff is used by model makers and I've been reading some of their forums too.

In doing this, I notice there is quite a bit of discussion about whether or not the paint needs thinning, and if so, what to thin it with. Water? IPA? Also discussion about the best sort of brush!

Has anyone tried this or anything else on these tuning scales? I've attached a couple of photos of the problem. Can't see that I'll be able to fix the lettering easily but I'll go down to a sign writers in Gosport next week and see what they have in the way of vinyl letters.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	134779   Click image for larger version

Name:	right.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	134780  
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 2:14 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Hacker Sovereign 3 Tuning Scale

If there is a lot of paint loss, one not very authentic option is to remove the lot and leave it bare: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=9486
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 8:15 pm   #3
wireless_john
Heptode

Not sure if I'd do that Nick!

This is the thread where Howard is talking about the paint:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=11933

I think he's talking about the speaker grill here though.

As for the lettering - I don't know. Letraset springs to mind but I'm not sure how hardwearing it is.

John
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 11:30 pm   #4
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Letraset would need to be lacquered because even an accidental knock with a fingernail would scrape the lettering off.

I am working on an image for the Sov III (as well as the RP75) so I can laser etch the faceplate and add white into the lettering but it's only one of many projects on my 'to do' list so I can't yet produce the before and after photos. Looks like someone cleaned up the faceplate with a thinners soaked rag wrapped around a brass bristled brush so hopefully the laser etching will work.

Incidentally, I have used Letraset to replace the text on a faceplate (RP75) and even a slight misalignment looks really awful so you'll need plenty of patience and a willingness to remove a crooked letter immediately after you apply it if you want the results to be good.
Old 22nd Dec 2016, 11:44 pm   #5
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Before and after pics of Letraset lettering being applied. A VERY labour intensive process, I must say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hacker_RP75MB_As_Received.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	134825   Click image for larger version

Name:	hacker_rp75mb_repair_complete.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	134826  
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 9:13 am   #6
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

The secret with Letraset is to trasfer it to a carrier first, then when happy with alignment transfer the whole lot to the finished job. It goes without saying that the built-in alignment / kerning 'spacematic' bars should be fully utilised in the process.
Old 23rd Dec 2016, 11:59 am   #7
wireless_john
Heptode

I have to say I'm not that keen on Letraset having fiddled with it in the past.

I will probably leave the lettering and just try and tidy up the rest of it.

John
Old 24th Dec 2016, 9:28 am   #8
wireless_john
Heptode

Well, reading the other thread about control knob lettering, this looks promising:

http://fox-transfers.co.uk/general-a...habet-in-black

John
Old 25th Dec 2016, 2:42 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

In my opinion there's no way you're going to get a good match by touching up that black, there's just too much paint missing. I'd remove it all, mask and spray.
Old 26th Dec 2016, 4:54 pm   #10
wireless_john
Heptode

I think you might be right there Steve! I've got two tuning scales, both bad so I'm going to experiment with the worst of the two.

Masking off everything, including the lettering and then spraying the solid blocks may well be the way to go. I need to find an airbrushing enthusiast in Gosport I think!

The local sign writers were sympathetic but don't do lettering that small. They didn't have any other ideas either.

John
Old 27th Dec 2016, 10:39 am   #11
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Pwun View Post
Letraset would need to be lacquered because even an accidental knock with a fingernail would scrape the lettering off.
Hi.

I agree but it's important not to apply the coating too heavily as it can distort and ruin the transfers as I have discovered. I'm still not entirely confident about applying lacquer to the transfers. What's the best approach for ensuring success?
Should a very thin coating first be applied to seal the transfers followed by a heavier one?

EDIT: As another thought, I suppose the type of lacquer could be a reason why I have had problems. In the past, I never had the problem of distortion of the lettering after lacquering. So I was wondering what is the best lacquer to use?

Regards
Symon.

Last edited by Philips210; 27th Dec 2016 at 10:47 am. Reason: Additional text
Closed Thread