UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 14th Dec 2016, 5:04 am   #1
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default STK modules, new but dusty.

I know where there is a large stock of STK modules, here with me in the Philippines.
If you need any I can possibly find after New Year. But be quick!

Sam.
Old 14th Dec 2016, 2:02 pm   #2
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: STK modules, new but dusty.

Sorry to be thick, but could you let the general reading audience know what STK modules are?
Many thanks
Old 14th Dec 2016, 2:31 pm   #3
evingar
Octode

Audio power amplifier modules ?

https://www.studioelectronics.biz/su...uct_list&c=109
Old 14th Dec 2016, 3:44 pm   #4
Boater Sam
Banned

Sorry, but I don't know really, some are audio modules, others are power regulators, I have never got into using them myself.
But if you know the numbers I may be able to help with supply.
Old 14th Dec 2016, 5:13 pm   #5
vidjoman
Dekatron

I would say that an STKxxxx is basically a hybrid power module. Often seen as an amplifier in our type of business. Most seem to contain driver and power output transistors and thick film resistors. Available with varying degrees of complexity. Just google and look at the images.
Old 14th Dec 2016, 9:05 pm   #6
JohnBHanson
Heptode

I Believe that some of the sony amplifiers use these - eg STR VX2L
Old 14th Dec 2016, 9:06 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, they're basically oversized ICs. They're generally black plastic slabs about 3" wide by 1.5" high and 0.5" deep or thereabouts with pins along one edge and a metallic back. The pins are soldered to the PCB and the slab is bolted to a heatsink.

Typical applications include multiple linear voltage regulators in 1980s videos' power supplies, and the output stages of cheaper hifi amps from the 1970s/1980s.

They were a godsend in that they made servicing easy: a large chunk of complex circuitry could be replaced in a few minutes with limited electronic knowledge: after checking supply voltages and passive peripheral Rs and Cs, a new module could be fitted and then the machine would most likely work again without having to faff around testing dozens of discrete transistors. OTOH, once obsolescent and expensive or hard to find, their failure often rendered serviceable equipment beyond economic repair. Many are now impossible to find, or else are secondhand pulls or even counterfeit.

Designers liked them. You could make an integrated hifi amp with nothing more than a simple power supply, a dual op-amp or two as a pre-amp, an STK461 or whatever as the output stages, and a handful of passive components. Compact, cheap and reliable.

Here's one in a receiver. Most of that big PCB is the tuner: https://ffseb.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/inuti.jpg

They're known as STK modules simply because the part number started with STK, for example the aforementioned STK461 was a stereo power amp with an output of about 2x20W, found in posher music centres and entry-level hifi amps: http://www.littlediode.com/components/STK461.html

I think they were originally made by Sanken, but others joined in and retained the STK prefix.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 14th Dec 2016 at 9:14 pm.
Old 16th Dec 2016, 2:39 am   #8
FrankB
Heptode

I loved those STK modules. Made mass income from replacing them in the rear PTV's as they were used as convergence amps.
Bad part was/is there are mass counterfeit ones out there, and re-branded ones, mostly from China and Asia. IIRC, Pioneer also used them in Stereo amps too, and you had to replace the STK output and STK driver as a pair, as one's failure would damage the other, usually.
Basically they are a large op amp used for VR and audio. Super simple to test too. Signal in OK, no output, STK bad. Also a bias resistor would sometimes fail, taking the STK out.
Old 8th Jan 2017, 7:53 am   #9
Boater Sam
Banned

All correct, but before we move away from the source, does anyone want any?
Closed Thread