UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2017, 5:53 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Using Paypal

Just as an aside, money can be sent via Paypal at zero cost to either party as long as the transfer is made using the "send to friends/family" option. I use this all the time.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 11:02 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Tektronix 434 parts uA723 10 pin can

Someone always pays, Jeremy. If you send to friends/family the sender pays. If you send for products/services the receiver pays.

Craig
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 2:10 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Someone always pays, Jeremy.
If I send £2 then the full £2 is received by the other person, used to be "Gift" but now "Friends and Family" If you send money without using this option then the recipient will lose 10% or is it 15%

John.
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 6:34 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's a bit convoluted but it is possible to send for free at both ends by Paypal. Not for all types of money source, though......

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Jan 2017, 4:28 pm   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
If I send £2 then the full £2 is received by the other person, used to be "Gift" but now "Friends and Family" If you send money without using this option then the recipient will loose 10% or is it 15%
If you send it to Friends and Family, the recipient pays nothing extra - and in your example receives £2. But you, as the sender, gets to pay the percentage. So you pay not £2, but £2 + the percentage (10%, 15% - whatever it currently is).

Craig
Old 29th Jan 2017, 7:04 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

I don't know why anyone uses paypal for one to one transactions. Simple online banking or telephone banking transaction is instant, fee free and secure.
Old 29th Jan 2017, 7:28 pm   #7
Pamphonica
Nonode

...because Paypal payments to "family/friends" are instant, fee-free and secure?

Last edited by Pamphonica; 29th Jan 2017 at 7:40 pm.
Old 29th Jan 2017, 8:51 pm   #8
MrBungle
Dekatron

(until you have a dispute to resolve or they hold your transaction or it disappears into a void when withdrawing it from paypal to your bank for three weeks, all of which have happened to me on numerous occasions)
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:36 am   #9
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"I don't know why anyone uses paypal for one to one transactions. Simple online banking or telephone banking transaction is instant, fee free and secure." A lot of folk either don't have online banking, or don't trust giving out bank detail's to (relative) stranger's. I don't mind giving out my detail's, but I only have minus £200 in my account, I'd be less sanguine if I had a few grand or my life saving's. Out of hundred's of forum related transaction's I've used it about 5 times.

Whilst interesting we're well off topic and have hijacked the OP's thread. Think I can hear the revving of scooter's and the donning of sharp thread's.

Andy.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:14 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Using Paypal

Mods have made good as always (thank you mods)

Your bank account sort and account number are an address like your postal one. You can only send money to it.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:24 pm   #11
paulsherwin

There are no Paypal charges for gifts if the payment comes from your Paypal balance. If your Paypal balance is too low and payment comes from a debit card or bank account, you will pay Paypal charges (though there are no charges for the recipient).

I also use direct bank transfers where possible, but some people are reluctant to hand out their bank account details to strangers, even though there is no risk involved.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:42 pm   #12
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Bear in mind that whenever you give someone a cheque, you are also handing them your bank details.
Paypal certainly has some risks, but risk-free financial transactions usually cost money!
You (potentially) pays your money and takes your choice!
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:43 pm   #13

Quote:
but some people are reluctant to hand out their bank account details to strangers
I minimise my handing out of any information, even 'phone numbers requested by online websites. The less there is out there, the less that can be harvested, I don't use any social media stuff (unless this forum counts) people that do reveal an awful lot of stuff.

I use PayPal via a credit card, worst case my email address is known and I will refuse to pay the card off for any fraudulent amount. it hasn't happened yet... There is a balance twixt convenience and likelyhood of fraud, I am sticking to slightly less convenient.

Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:52 pm   #14
MrBungle
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
I use PayPal via a credit card, worst case my email address is known and I will refuse to pay the card off for any fraudulent amount. it hasn't happened yet... There is a balance twixt convenience and likelyhood of fraud, I am sticking to slightly less convenient.
Good advice.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 6:54 pm   #15
David G4EBT
Dekatron

I've never used online banking, but I've used paypal a lot to send money to 'friends and family' including to forum members, and neither I nor the recipient has incurred any fees. Paypal is linked to my debit card/bank account if I don't have a paypal balance. I'm surprised that people are confused about this - it's precisely as Jeremy said at the outset. You only incur a charge if you use a credit card (as you do with many service providers), or if a currency conversion is involved. To quote paypal:

"It is free to use PayPal to send or receive money between friends and family in the UK, as long as the payment is funded by a bank account, debit card or PayPal balance, and no currency conversion is involved".

That's unambiguous. All you need to do is to send the money to the recipient's e-mail (assuming they have a paypal account) and its there virtually instantaneously, leastways, that's my experience. If you fund it via a credit card, the fee is 3.4% + 35p and the same applies if currency conversion is involved, so if say you sent £10.00 using a credit card via papal, that would incur a cost to the sender of 34p + 35p = 69p.

When you pay, the recipient gets an e-mail alert from paypal to say that (name) has sent you '£X'. As a sender, you can add a note if you wish - 'here's the money for the valve John - many thanks' or whatever.

To my mind, it's a real boon - not so long back we'd be faffing about with cheques and postal orders, sending letters and what not.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:04 pm   #16
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
Bear in mind that whenever you give someone a cheque, you are also handing them your bank details.
Worse still with 'over the phone' transactions. You give them all your personal details - name & address, card number, and the 3 digit security code on the back of the card.

That's all a dishonest employee needs - a pin number is only required when the buyer is present and a card machine is used, such as at restaurants, shops etc.
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:33 pm   #17

Quote:
Worse still with 'over the phone' transactions. You give them all your personal details
At least you know who you gave it to, should lead to an easy trace of what went wrong.

Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:35 pm   #18
Cobaltblue

I use PP all the time, its very convenient for me and separate from my normal banking.

Indeed when people send cheques to pay for postage etc its a real pain since I use PP to pay postage.

If I didn't post an item until I got into town and the cheque cleared it would add at least a couple of weeks.

Most of the delays are caused by such things as not having a PP balance and using a debit card instead of a credit card.

I do use bank transfers but it then means moving money around which is a pain.

So I'm with Pamphonica PP does definitely have its uses.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 30th Jan 2017, 7:41 pm   #19
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Friends and family is supposed to be used for sending money to people you know, not to buy or sell things. It has no buyer or seller protection.

David
Old 30th Jan 2017, 8:01 pm   #20
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have used PayPal on my service data website for many years (I also now offer card payments via Stripe but the majority of customers still use PayPal).

I have had very few problems, maybe 2 or 3 disputed transactions a year, and I always respond to them promptly. I have never had any restrictions placed on my PayPal account or had any problems withdrawing money from it. I normally keep a few tens of pounds in the account.

This of course is business purchases so it costs me the 3.4% plus 20p per transaction, which means for each £1.99 individual service data order I get £1.72.

I have used the friends and family facility a few times, both paying and receiving, and haven't been charged any fees either way. As others have said, it offers no buyer protection because it isn't intended for business transactions.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread