UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2017, 6:43 pm   #1
Randomuser
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pioneer 4300B Car Radio 6 Pin DIN Plug

Hello to the wonderful forum, first of all I'd like to apologize for not being a native speaker, so I'd like any misunderstanding to be accepted normally.

I'd like to ask what's the 6 Pin DIN Plug used for on the back of this car radio. I'd be happy if I could use it to feed line level signal into the radio (from laptop/MP3 player/smartphone etc.) Is it a line level input/output or it probably has any other particular purpose? Here's a screenshot from the service manual and a photo I've made of the plug. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pioneer_4300_B_Car_Radio_6_Pin_DIN_Plug.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	138093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pioneer 4300B Car Radio 6 Pin DIN Plug.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	138094  
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 7:00 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Pioneer 4300B Car Radio 6 Pin DIN Plug

From the circuit it looks like pin 2 of the 6-pin is the audio input to the radio's amplifier and pin 1 is the audio output from the radio's detector stage. It looks like there is normally a plug fitted which links these two pins.

So, yes, you could use it to feed in audio via pin 2 with signal ground on pin 5 or 3 or the shell of the connector.

You may want to add some additional switching to select which audio it gets- internal from the radio or external whatever you choose.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 7:08 pm   #3
Randomuser
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the reply. The radio itself has only "radio" and "tape" modes, so when it's turned on, the radio mode is switched automatically and when a audio cassette is inserted, the tape mode is switched. Do I need to make additional modification to the electronic circuit in order for the signal to be heard when audio signal is fed into the radio via pins 2 and 6? And what pins should I use in order to feed the signal out of the radio and is it line or loudspeaker level?

Last edited by Randomuser; 23rd Feb 2017 at 7:17 pm.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 8:16 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

An external audio source, such as a CD Player, MP3 Player or IPod could be connected here, although, unless I'm mistaken, the signal at this point will only be mono. A more likely use for this socket would be for the connection of an interference reduction device, known by various names. I'm not sure what Pioneer called them, but the Blaupunkt name was ASU(In English 'Autmatic Suppression Unit), these connect, as shown, between theFM IF?Demodulator and the input to the stereo dedcoder.
Closed Thread