UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2017, 12:02 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default Transistor case type

Do the shiny black cement dome top transistors actually have a case name?
They are shown in the image below.
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...7&d=1484686230
They are not absolutely reliable components, but I don't know if it is because they represent an early generation of silicon transistors.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 12:13 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Transistor case type

Yes - they are TO-106.

They are usually a disc of ceramic with the transistor substrate bonded to it, wired in then sealed over the top.

TBH the most reliable packages are the more modern TO-92 plastic ones. Even more reliable than the TO-18/5/39 cans from experience.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 2:12 pm   #3
Neil Purling
Nonode

I don't know why these TO-106 devices often turn rogue: Low-gain, noisy or just dead.
Maybe Far East radio makers used reject components? I have certainly seen devices with no marking whatsoever which I have had to change.
The gear I see them in are generic radios that appeared with several brand names, made in Hong Kong and often sold by market traders or low-end retailers.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 2:38 pm   #4
paulsherwin

They were widely used for a few years before the TO-92 standards became common. Philips made the BC108 series in TO-106 for a while. I haven't found them particularly unreliable, though you do come across the odd bad one as with any transistor type.

I think TO-106 was the first attempt to make mass market transistors without the expense of a metal encapsulation.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 2:41 pm   #5
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

They were fairly frequent back in the day, and included a TO5-sized version too, the TO105. Tektronix used them in various products in the 60's including the 453 'scope. And yes, even top-brand TO105 and TO106 housed devices used to randomly fail.

It was probably down to differential contraction between the ceramic header and the dome-like epoxy blob.

Craig
Old 21st Feb 2017, 6:50 pm   #6
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The TO-106 encapsulation was originally developed by Fairchild, as the delivery-platform for their silicon planar technology in the early-1960s.

The resultant transistors were cheap, and had remarkably stable and consistent performance-charactistics when compared to their Germanium predecessors.

Fairchild then went on to release their first series of "Resistor-Transistor Logic" [RTL] ICs based on the same technology - the uL900-series - in the very-early-1960s.

http://semiconductormuseum.com/Museu..._923_Index.htm

which used a larger version of the same encapsulation.

When you consider how old many of these first-generation silicon planar transistors are, does their failure-rate *actually* come out any worse than their contemporary tin-whiskery OC169/170/171 or the AF114-118 series??
Old 21st Feb 2017, 7:50 pm   #7

One of the most attractive packages I think.

Old 21st Feb 2017, 9:00 pm   #8
Neil Purling
Nonode

These packages seem to be around mid-late 1970's, from what equipment I have seen.
I wondered what material they were made of as the part with the lead-in wires was matte black & the top shiny stuff.
Was it usual for completely un-marked devices to be used for equipment assembly. Could they be reject or out-of-spec components sold cheap to the trade? I can understand the drive to cut the cost of every unit.
Old 21st Feb 2017, 9:15 pm   #9
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ceramic with epoxy top
Old 21st Feb 2017, 11:30 pm   #10
Neil Purling
Nonode

I think that Craig Sawyers suggests a likely reason why this style of transistors do fail.
Maybe the construction is making slightly higher failure rates.
In one situation one component out of six of the same casing had to be replaced. The others are still fine.
Closed Thread