UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2017, 12:19 pm   #1
spacebiscuit
Tetrode

Default Sony ICF-303

Hi,

Hopefully this qualifies as a vintage radio:

I Noticed a rattling sound in this radio and when I opened it up I noticed this piece has broken. What does this component do?

After removing the loose piece I powered up the radio which works but there is no sound from the loudspeaker. If I plug a pair of earphones into the jack I hear sound.

If the broken piece related to the speaker not working?

Thanks,

Rob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1557.jpeg
Views:	198
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	137580   Click image for larger version

Name:	qGSsrWO.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	137581   Click image for larger version

Name:	NiPjkey.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	137582  
Old 13th Feb 2017, 12:33 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Sony ICF-303

That is half of the ferrite rod aerial, which has broken in half.

The ferrite rod is only used for AM reception, but it would only have broken as a result of the radio receiving a severe shock by dropping or something similar, so other damage may have occurred too.
Old 13th Feb 2017, 12:39 pm   #3
spacebiscuit
Tetrode

If i recall correctly the radio was dropped which caused the rod to break.

So that wouldn't directly cause the loudspeaker to stop working. Just wondering if it's worth me swapping the speaker out for a new one. I guess the symptom is too general to pin it to anything specific?

Thanks,

Rob.
Old 13th Feb 2017, 1:51 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I'm afraid so, yes. You can test the speaker by disconnecting it and applying a 1.5V battery across it, which should result in a loud click. There's no knowing what else may have broken though. Have a good look at the earphone socket and all the associated wiring.
Old 13th Feb 2017, 5:21 pm   #5
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

If you do have to replace the speaker (which I hope you don't) ensure it's a direct replacement. These 3" units give a very good bass response from such a small enclosure. I think this whole set is based on just one Sony custom chip.
Old 13th Feb 2017, 10:30 pm   #6
1100 man
Octode

Sorry, I can't help at all with the radio but have to say 'cool user name' One of the best I've seen for a long time! Actually the only reason I read the thread in the first place Welcome to the forum
Cheers Nick
Old 21st Feb 2017, 8:51 pm   #7
spacebiscuit
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100 man View Post
Welcome to the forum
Thanks Nick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
If you do have to replace the speaker (which I hope you don't) ensure it's a direct replacement. These 3" units give a very good bass response from such a small enclosure.
I used a multi-meter across the old speaker and I didn't get a reading so I replaced the speaker - but not with the official replacement part. It now works, but to be honest it must have been 10 years since it last worked so I can't compare the new sound with the original.

Appreciate the advice offered and thank you for helping me fix the unit (albeit with inferior parts!)

Rob.
Closed Thread