UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2017, 7:44 pm   #1
2ombieboy
Pentode

Default N1500, N1700 tapes help

Hi guys i have a problem got myself a car full of Phillips n1700 tapes but dont know wich tapes are good and wich ones are bad. there on all different tape stock, basif phillips,scotch, and so on some refuse to play and 1 threw my belt and had to reattach. i am new to this format normally i use v2000 and beta for my youtube. Also when i do get it playing something it jumps due to tape age (See attached videos) would a tbc correct this?

so any advice help would be super i have a ton of tapes and not a clue what ones to start on. scared of the sticky tape problem that some brands apparently have

please help asap

Alan

ANY PROBLEMS WITH LINKS LET ME KNOW
https://youtu.be/YcMFMTzdZTY
https://youtu.be/ZnOagiPRMrY
Old 18th Feb 2017, 8:10 pm   #2
Lodgesound
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: n1500 n1700 tapes help

Hi there;

I am staggered that the tapes you have play as well as in your vids frankly.

This is not a format you can use any longer for anything other than to rescue tapes and recordings thereon.

I work at one of the world's biggest archives and we have a nightmare playing 1500 and 1700 tapes - we have several machines modified for the task and all tapes require baking before even an attempt is made at playback.

Once baked for 3 days you generally have a window of around a week for playback before they start to revert.

All tapes you will encounter either 1500 or 1700 will now exhibit some kind of stiction or excessive shedding.

Sadly this format has had its day. The very notion of using it on a daily basis for anything other than archive retrieval is a complete nonsense.
Old 18th Feb 2017, 8:15 pm   #3
2ombieboy
Pentode

Default Re: n1500 n1700 tapes help

yeh it is for archiving all the tapes i have where tapes ither on a 1500 or a 1700 back in the 70s and 80s. my youtube channel is a vhs vintage tape archive. as i say up to now from v2000 and beta and vhs. my 1700 is a bbc spec
with new head fitted at a massive cost to me

Alan
Old 19th Feb 2017, 11:40 am   #4
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: N1500, N1700 tapes help

What I'd do in this scenario - and I'm aware of how tricky it is to find any of these machines now- is get a N1500 whose transport works, even if the heads have worn out. This can be used as a 'guinea pig' deck to check the tapes run properly before you attempt playback on your best deck with the new heads.

Obviously if you get a sticky tape, you'd have to clean the entire tape path before attempting to play another.

Consider it as a sort of damage-limitation thing!
Old 19th Feb 2017, 12:09 pm   #5
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

I found that Scotch Tapes are the worst for oxide shedding.

The lazy way - At the point where you have the trouble, open the flap and release the brake underneath with a small screwdriver and pull the tape out, (you can clean it if you want with iso alcohol and soft leather cloth) and spool it back in.
Sometimes the action of just pulling the tape out releases any bit that has been sticking.

Last edited by cheerfulcharlie; 19th Feb 2017 at 12:15 pm.
Old 20th Feb 2017, 6:22 am   #6
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Looks like it's not picking up the control track very well and it's not syncing the tracking. Another common problem is that tapes get sticky onto the head drum and fleak off their particles. Also, cleaning the pinch roller is a good idea.

Fivos
Closed Thread