UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:52 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default Ultra Bermuda 6632

This BRC set has proved a more successful patient. It had languished in someone's loft in Yorkshire before I acquired it. It contains the excellent 950 series chassis.

The initial problem was a very hot and bothered main electrolytic can, but luckily I was able to obtain an exact replacement through this forum. After that the set came up with the usual symptom of the bottom of the picture up near the middle of the screen whilst the top was expanded. Gradual replacement of caps around the frame stage cured this bit by bit. Every cap replaced yielded an improvement. The boost cap was also changed (belt and braces stuff). Further caps in the sync stage brought improved stability to the picture.

A clean of the VHF tuner cleared up a host of picture disturbances and a touchy control. And that was pretty much all it took to return this fine set to service. The Mazda crt is nice and bright and improving all the time with use. It's mounted behind a PVC implosion guard which may have coloured with age, possibly the reason the screen has a slightly sickly yellow cast to it when switched off, at least in comparison to other sets which look dark green.

This is a set I'm very lucky to own, having had a previous example from a jumble sale in the early 1980s. I guess that one ended up at the tip. I never thought I'd be lucky enough to find the exact same model all these years later. Just goes to show...

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UB1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	137807   Click image for larger version

Name:	UB2.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	137808   Click image for larger version

Name:	UB5.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	137810   Click image for larger version

Name:	UB4.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	137812   Click image for larger version

Name:	UB6.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	137813  

Last edited by Colourstar; 17th Feb 2017 at 10:16 pm.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 9:53 pm   #2
Colourstar
Octode

Default Re: Ultra Bermuda 6632

And the chassis...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UB7.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	137814  
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:15 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Blimey, that chassis brings back memories, wish I had a tenner for everyone of them I repaired, long time ago now.

Lawrence.
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:30 pm   #4
Colourstar
Octode

Very popular in their day I believe, Lawrence. I bet there were quite a lot in service into the early 1980s.

Steve
Old 17th Feb 2017, 10:52 pm   #5
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

Nice set and a lucky find.

BRC/Thorn sets were great for servicing but often let down by their Mazda 'Goldstar' tubes. I found the smaller screen sizes, especially the 17" version did last quite well though.
It looks like the tripler is of the open type with selenium rectifiers (the ones that reeked when they started playing up). That's a smell you never forget and I was first introduced to that on a BRC 1400 chassis!
ISTR Les Lawry Johns in the 'TELEVISION' magazine doing a service call in a customers house. The customer who was still watching the TV thought the smell of the breaking down tripler was caused by the dog!
I think your set has one of the excellent jelly pot LOPTx fitted.

Regards
Symon
Old 18th Feb 2017, 9:54 pm   #6
thermionic
Heptode

Haha, memories for me too!

The Ferguson version of this model was the first TV I managed to repair as a 12 year old!

It belonged to my Aunt, who had been told by the local TV repair shop that it wasn't worth repairing.

Good set, and well done for getting this up & running. I wish I could find one to fix now.

SimonT.
Old 19th Feb 2017, 10:20 am   #7
Colourstar
Octode

This is naughty. The back cover has been butchered to allow better access to the linearity and height presets. To be fair they are a real fiddle to get at as the wiring loom is always in the way. No call for this sort of thing though!

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	UB presets.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	137860  
Old 19th Feb 2017, 3:03 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Definitely not a good idea, with a possibly live chassis that an inquisitive child could touch.

Frank
Closed Thread