UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Feb 2017, 11:24 pm   #81
Oliver35
Pentode

Default Re: Attracting younger members to Vintage Equipment

No, a splendid post Liam, thanks for sharing. Although I'm aware of Bioshock, it hadn't occurred to me in this context- and the whole Steampunk genre, which is young, vibrant, and big. A lot of it is set-dressing, but there are a lot of very gifted technical bods at the forefront of that interest.
Old 15th Feb 2017, 11:34 pm   #82
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Like I said we're stuffed, doomed, etc. Liam you've made some very goood and illlustrative points, I'm off to discover what Bioshock is about, ( a real demo of how one thing leads to another).

T
Old 15th Feb 2017, 11:54 pm   #83
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxophone View Post
I had a similar experience recently when buying an old Tilley paraffin lamp. The seller insisted that the mantles were no longer available, but it turns out they are still manufactured. There is even a vintage pressure lamp forum.
That's the other forum that I inhabit! You might also look for the Historic Lighting Club if you're into old lamps.

An interesting and balanced posting, Liam, thanks for your thoughts.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 16th Feb 2017, 1:06 am   #84
IanBland
Hexode

That reminds me of one of my blue sky projects, a mechanical TV system for steampunk fans. With a circular scan and screen. I keep running into this problem with Constant Angular Velocity not being a friend of a progressive scan, and putting it on the back burner.

But back to the point Liam made; interest in old things is not just nostalgia driven, an alternative is a yearning for a lost time before one even lived. I think maybe there's an "interest gap" between the two, after nostalgists have passed away, it's a little while until it then becomes old enough to be antique, and interest revives.

I personally expect that as everything digitises, the lure of the analogue will strengthen.
Old 16th Feb 2017, 2:40 am   #85
Radio Wrangler

Our ears and eyes are analogue, the sounds around us are analogue. The digital world lives boxed-in by converters!

One of my pet tricks when delivering a lecture is to leap around like a loony (not difficult from my starting point) and cup my hands together mid leap. Look in hands and do it again then proudly announce that I've caught an electron! I then pick a victim in the audience and show it to him/her before asking them if it was an analogue one or a digital one Guaranteed to break the ice at parties....

There is charge, ther are voltages and currents. Analogue and digital are ways of assigning meaning to them. Each method ha some useful tricks the other finds difficult.

David
Old 16th Feb 2017, 1:21 pm   #86
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver35 View Post
No, a splendid post Liam, thanks for sharing. Although I'm aware of Bioshock, it hadn't occurred to me in this context- and the whole Steampunk genre, which is young, vibrant, and big. A lot of it is set-dressing, but there are a lot of very gifted technical bods at the forefront of that interest.
Strangely I hadn't considered the Steampunk genre! I agree it could have big potential.
Old 16th Feb 2017, 1:33 pm   #87
Radio Wrangler

We'd have to wean the steampunks onto things which not only look cute, but also work. Blunderbusses excepted, of course.

Could be fun

David
Old 16th Feb 2017, 2:11 pm   #88
Voxophone
Hexode

Good point. I think there would be some who might appreciate the authenticity. Valves also look nice when they light up.

A lot of people seem to build Nixie clocks which might also be a gateway drug.

I keep meaning to build some Steampunk gear myself. My problem would be insisting that everything looks like it could work – i.e. no random stacks of gears which don't connect to anything.
Old 16th Feb 2017, 2:23 pm   #89
music-centre
Heptode

Good to see a more positive outlook on this subject from Voxophone ( - didn't realise modern videogames featured test cards

I think there will always be a small percentage of young people who are interested in this old stuff (I certainly hope there will be!)

I was quite pleased when the winning bidder on a early 80s TV set I auctioned fairly recently turned out to be someone in their late teens/early twenties - showing there are some young people out there to keep it from being binned.
Steve.
Old 16th Feb 2017, 7:47 pm   #90
Voxophone
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-centre View Post
( - didn't realise modern videogames featured test cards
Test cards are alive and well in videogames. Somewhere along the line they seem to have acquired a totalitarian/apocalyptic vibe. And here’s me thinking they just helped to adjust your picture.

Below is a shot of the Bioshock test card on my TV22. You can see how a slightly different version looked in the game here: http://www.playthepast.org/wp-conten.../08/tv-alt.jpg

I seem to remember that the attention to detail was pretty good. Some of the sets even had the image scrolling over the screen due to incorrect vertical hold! No line whistle though.

Anyway. I won't make this into the Bioshock thread.

Liam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0090.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	137776  
Old 16th Feb 2017, 9:28 pm   #91
Oliver35
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by music-centre View Post
I was quite pleased when the winning bidder on a early 80s TV set I auctioned fairly recently turned out to be someone in their late teens/early twenties - showing there are some young people out there to keep it from being binned.
Steve.
I realise that I'm drifting slowly out of the arena of youth at 35, but I bought my first tv on t'Bay this week, took months of searching to find one in vintage set-starved Suffolk. A 1951 Ferguson- will be picking it up on Monday!
Old 16th Feb 2017, 9:33 pm   #92
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I think a lot of older people assume that younger folk just aren't interested in old stuff at all, and I must admit that I was more than surprised to find my twenty year old listening to Black Sabbath, Zeppelin and AC/DC, alongside the usual modern stuff on his playlist (or whatever they call it nowadays). What's more he knew quite a lot about them. One of my lads had an LP lying about in his house, but no means of playing it. Apparently people of his age just collect them! Go to any vintage rally and you will find the steam engine or whatever is quite often driven enthusiastically by the owner's teenage son or daughter, dressed in a filthy boiler suit. It just seems that vintage electronics doesn't score highly for some reason.
Closed Thread