UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2017, 10:23 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Printed circuit motor.

Hi,
I've had this curiosity kicking around since the seventies and during four house moves. I think it's a printed circuit rotor from a DC 'flat motor'. I seem to remember that it had a hefty ferrite magnet on one side and the brushes ran on the inner part of the 'print' near the hole.
I wondered what became of these types of motor. Are they still used much?
Cheers, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6794.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	137386   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6795.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	137387  
Old 10th Feb 2017, 10:48 pm   #2
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Default Re: Printed circuit motor.

Hi,
The motor in my Technics SL-5 direct drive turntable looks to be printed on a pcb. I'll try and find a photo of it...

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 10th Feb 2017, 11:25 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

From that period most likely Printed Motors ltd. They wound up as low inertia high torque servomotors

More recently there was a firm called Lynch doing them, trying for the electric vehicle/bike market.

David
Old 11th Feb 2017, 8:43 am   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents , Cedric Lynch has been producing these since the 70s for a variety of applications and up to about 100A continious ratings. As magnets have improved, so have his motors.

Ed
Old 11th Feb 2017, 10:41 am   #5
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

That brings back memories! I had to control one of those as part of my MSc project back in 1974. It drove a model, about 5 feet long, of a gantry crane designed to unload iron ore from a ship's hold and drop it into railway wagons on the quayside. The requirement was to automate what could be done manually by a skilled crane operator, the trick being to damp out the sideways swing of the grab as it dropped into the ship or wagon, and do the job as quickly as possible. (The full-size crane was somewhere in Ed's neck of the woods, he might know where?). My part of the project involved designing and building the amplifier to drive the motor, and writing a program using Basic with embedded assembler code running in a PDP-11 to schedule the drive to the motor.

Happy days!

Andy
Old 11th Feb 2017, 11:05 am   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I have seen them in fax machines.
Old 11th Feb 2017, 12:36 pm   #7
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

yes they are still in use. They have very high torque at low RPM and very controllable. They are used for gantry rotation on medical linear accelerators. The gantry is the rotating part of the machine and weighs in the order of half a ton. The control system and this type of motor allows very slow and accurate rotation.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...AxbITpA3A0wwte

The motors, two in this case, are at the bottom underneath the green items just to the right of the dividing screen. The green items are gearboxes.

Last edited by Malcolm G6ANZ; 11th Feb 2017 at 12:40 pm. Reason: modified link
Old 12th Feb 2017, 8:04 am   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Andy, if it was iron ore it would probably be on Teesside, but I guess unfortunately scrapped by now (Unless Lucien has saved it!)

Ed
Old 12th Feb 2017, 12:44 pm   #9
bikerhifinut
Octode

As far as I am aware the unloading gantries at Redcar ore terminal (River Tees) are still there, they hadn't been dismantled when I moved.
A.
Closed Thread