UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jan 2017, 6:24 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default What is this first-generation carphone?

Se http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-car-phone-uk/

What's the radio shown in the photo??
Old 19th Jan 2017, 7:08 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: What is this first-generation carphone?

Is it a remote box for an early Pye Ranger?

The tapered knobs and the cut outs at the speaker front look that way.

B
Old 19th Jan 2017, 8:14 pm   #3
sentinel040
Hexode

Location: Near Lichfield, Staffordshire, UK, most of the time and Crystal Palace, S London, some of the time..

I would concur that that is a Pye Ranger control box, which would be right for the period as the first generation radio-phone service started in Lancashire in 1959. When it started in London, that service used the LC10FM variant of the Cambridge.
Ian
Old 19th Jan 2017, 8:22 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Thanks for the info: that series of Pye stuff seems to have passed me by; I'm more familiar with the "10"-series AM/FM Cambridges and the "25" through "100" Vanguards as well as some of the very-early PTC stuff [with the TT15 double-beam-tetrode on a B9G base, and rotary-converter for the TX HT]
Old 19th Jan 2017, 8:36 pm   #5
Tom_I
Heptode

A picture of a Pye Ranger 6-channel remote unit as used in the 1959 GPO radio telephone service in Lancashire. There would also have been a large box of electronics in the boot of the car. The six channels meant that only six calls could be in progress at the same time in the whole system, but I suppose it was a start, and things have certainly moved on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYE Ranger Boot Remote 6 Channel.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	136163  
Old 19th Jan 2017, 9:03 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Yep, they went out of sight just before the Cambridge era, but I recall working on one for a friend and dismantling the control box. That front plate was made of brass sheet and I used the bit from in front of the speaker just recently (after ~45 years ) to mount a fan inside a scope, which is what brought it to mind.

B
Old 20th Jan 2017, 5:42 pm   #7
Panrock
Nonode

What frequencies were used?
Old 20th Jan 2017, 6:38 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The old "System 3" and the later pseudo-STD "System 4" Post office mobile service used VHF high-band (148-174MHz) - I have a couple of "Long chassis" Pye Westminsters here, the extended chassis being to accommodate the digital channel-allocation gubbins.

Prior to this, it appears that the first [not available to the general public] gear used what was to become VHF TV "Band III" - seems the Duke of Edinburgh had been using a mobile-radio fitted in his Lagonda, on what were then Admiralty frequencies.

See https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...epage&q&f=true and scroll back a bit.

I'd be intrigued to know exactly what radio the DoE was using!
Closed Thread