UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jan 2017, 10:21 pm   #1
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Default Any know what a TRT28 instrument is?

My friend was having a sort out of his garage and had this lying in there, we both wonder what it's for, just out of interest.

TRT 28, Timer Relay Tester? Telecom Relay Tester?

Setting up uniselectors maybe?

Thanks

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170114_142543748_HDR.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	136030   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170114_142552056_HDR.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	136031   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170114_142602543_HDR.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	136032  
Old 16th Jan 2017, 10:55 pm   #2
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: Any know what a TRT28 instrument is?

Relay sets- Unis - no sign of the connector, so I'd doubt it.
Similarly, something like Teleprinter stuff also would have a connector. However with both speed and ratio shown ,it has to have something to do with pulse &/ ratio .
Old 16th Jan 2017, 11:15 pm   #3
g8jzyian
Pentode

I think it's a Telegraph Relay Tester for setting magnetically biased teleprinter relays. I have used similar in the past but they had a socket for the relay under test.
Ian
Old 17th Jan 2017, 12:15 am   #4
Pellseinydd
Heptode

TRT doesn't relate to telegraphs - most testers related to telegraphs are number TG... TRT 23 is for testing Subs Private Meters, TRT 25 for Subs uniselectors, TRT 61 for timing Pay On Answer coinbox mechanisms, TRT 103 testing line fuses and test cords on MDFs and TRT 172 for testing Coin & Fee Checking relay sets to name a few.

But I can't find a TRT28 listed in any of the Vocabulary of Engineering Stores/Ratebooks that I've got. By the marking on the labels, it tends to indicate it is for testing the dial pulse speed and ratio on switchboard positions. Next move it to look in the EIs

Ian GW4BTW
Old 17th Jan 2017, 2:18 am   #5
Oldcodger
Nonode

Found one reference https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=GP...OfDv8Ae3gLf4Cg
But it comes up with EI in xls format by Sam Hallas and it looks like it may have something to do with teleprinters.
other ref is B1510, Tester TRT28 Description and Use, 1, 11, Oct, 1962.
I'd suggest that this is Test & Insp Gen B1510, BUT trawling through TI/EI was never my favourite activity, even when I had a full set .
Old 17th Jan 2017, 2:04 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

The entries in Sam's spreadsheet are hotlinks, but clicking on it just comes back with a not found error.

It would probably be worth contacting Sam (Stuart M Hallas) to see if he could provide any further enlightenment.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 17th Jan 2017, 6:26 pm   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
It would probably be worth contacting Sam (Stuart M Hallas) to see if he could provide any further enlightenment.
I've spoken to Sam (not Stuart!) - he's on CNet. He wasn't aware that those links were there and he's going to remove them.

Re the TRT28 - I was right in my previous thoughts re dial pulse/ratio tester. I quote from the EI -
"1. General. Tester TRT28 is a direct reading performance tester for measuring the average speed and make ratio of a train of loop-disconnect pulses generated by devices such as dials......

2. Use of Tester - The tester may be used for testing the following -
(a) dials mounted on auto-manual boards (50v & 60v exchanges)
(b) dials mounted in subscribers instruments or on PBXs.
(c) rack mounted pulse machines..

That seems to solve the mystery - a portable dial speed tester. Now replaced by the likes of the Digitell Plus

Ian J
CNet 0352 2345
Old 17th Jan 2017, 10:33 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellseinydd View Post
I've spoken to Sam (not Stuart!) - he's on CNet. He wasn't aware that those links were there and he's going to remove them.

http://www.samhallas.co.uk/about.htm

Sometimes posting spreadsheets (or even what you may assume is just one sheet) can be embarrassing. We got an official email at work once with what looked like simply a part of a spreadsheet with openly published information about pay grade bands in it. It didn't take someone long to find that the entire spreadsheet was actually embedded with a lot of MUCH more interesting stuff in it!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 18th Jan 2017, 10:58 pm   #9
NickG0HIK
Hexode

Thanks for the research and info guys, not sure that it'll get any time soon, but have a dial telephone, so it could be fun to have a tinker sometime.
The link to the info on Sam's site is of interest, I'm planning to try and recreate a type 56 bombing computer, it appears to use telephone components of the time , the data sheets may well be of use.
Nick
Closed Thread