UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2017, 11:20 am   #41
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: TV finds in deepest, darkest Devon!

Yes, well spotted. The GEC's tube is certainly down to air- the evacuation pip has been broken off the end That, and the generally dire condition of the rest of it, is why I have decided to break it for spares. It would be an even more insane rebuild than the Pilot which I am going to do.
Thanks for the measurements, John. I have a CME1703 here so will compare the neck length with the one in the Pilot later on.
Thanks for the circuit info, David. Will not be able to dig out the full cct until I return to the mainland next week.
I will look into the fireball tuner later on as well, but first, cup of coffee and a read of the 1100 club magazine- more tales of rusting wrecks to inspire me
Cheers Nick
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 12:16 am   #42
1100 man
Octode

Well, I spent a while cleaning some of the filth from the Pilot. I removed the Perspex screen guard and cleaned out all the pond life from the front of the tube It really was filthy. The tube surround is made of a cream coloured rubber similar in texture to washing machine door seals! It is still really soft and supple and has cleaned up very well. The front of the Perspex has some major scuffs and scores but I have had good success flatting out damage with wet & dry and then polishing with body compound. Hopefully, this will respond to treatment.
I have examined the chassis in detail. I am very tempted to remove the frame TB components from the top rail along with the smoothing cap etc. I would then sand blast it and have it nickle plated. The bottom and left side could also be done as they don't have many bits on them to remove. The bottom rail is particularly badly rusted. The right hand side with the line TB stuff on is not too terrible and would clean up. There are too many components on this to strip off.
We do this sort of thing for car components, so its not quite so major as it first seems, but it rather depends when we are next going to have a batch of stuff to be plated.
I measured the CRT from faceplate to the end of the pip and got 370mm. I also compared the neck length with the CME1703 and its the same. So I guess it is a CME2103. Many thanks for that info, John.
The cabinet also looks better for a clean but is far from well and will need a fair bit of work.
I took the lid off the fireball tuner and it does't look as bad as I expected although the lid is badly rusted. I will remove it from the chassis and have a closer look.
When I get back to the workshop next week, I will start a new thread about the Pilot once I start to do some work on it. I also need to stock up on capacitors at Harpenden in a couple of weeks.
Cheers Nick
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 9:43 am   #43
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Brave one Nick! The tube is the CME2101. The numbering is odd by Mazda and does not follow logic when it comes to the 110 degree tubes.
I can let you have some chassis pictures if you need them. I agree I think component removal will be needed with a chassis in this mess.
Not sure if I have the original service manual for the 17-70 series. I will have a look at the weekend. John.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 10:49 am   #44
pastyboy
Hexode

Good to see at least the pilot is receiving some attention, I rescued the gec and the sobel from a barn near Crediton, I just felt sorry for them (to coin a phrase from Neil29) I didn't want to break either and have other interesting sets inc 2 KB royal stars yet to make it to the bench.

The sobel tube only had a very light kick with the capener and it showed fairly good emission so hopefully it will live. All the best.
Old 23rd Feb 2017, 10:45 pm   #45
TV_Madness
Pentode

I love it when sets like these are brought back from the brink. Certainly will be very interesting to follow the restoration. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that new thread
Old 24th Feb 2017, 5:09 pm   #46
1100 man
Octode

I've had a chance to make a start on the Pilot, which considering I'm away at the moment came as a bit of a surprise! Hopefully, I will start a new thread about it's rebuild tonight.
I think this thread has gone as far as it needs to, so can be closed if a moderator happens to be reading this.
Many thanks to everyone who has read or contributed to it.
Cheers Nick
Closed Thread