UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2017, 10:17 am   #21
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown 160m Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VKM_Roger View Post
'I believe the Loran station was scrapped and the site used for oil-workers accomodation. We chose Sumburgh Head, Fair Isle and Duncasby lighthouses for our chain...'
Thanks for that, Roger: Interesting stuff! There're some pics I took of the Port Erroll site (Cruden Bay) here, for those who like that sort of thing.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 11:51 am   #22
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3VKM_Roger View Post
SYLEDIS is long-confined to the dustbin, thank goodness for 70cm band operations! It caused untold grief to amateur activities on that band but in the end the QRM it caused to the MOULD systems was it's downfall in the UK.
No tears shed here.

Someone came to the farm in the early 90s and asked about putting a mast up for a navigation system for the Forth. They'd picked the spot because of the adjacent trig point.

I asked "What frequency?"

He demurred and said below the TV band.

I said I used radio gear quite a lot and needed the exact frequency and specification of the signals. He'd thought he was dealing with someone non-technical.

He named the frequency, right in 70cms

"Oh, I'm licensed for 400W in that range, and high gain or omni antennae... are you sure this is going to work?"

He went away.

Result!

David
Old 19th Nov 2017, 8:42 am   #23
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Hi David,

I was NOT that man! Yes, trig pillars were popular sites, as were lighthouses and coastguard lookouts. I ran a chain covering the Dover Strait. We took power from the CG station at Langdon Battery and used an old gun mount for the Texas Tower mast.

Anyway, this is getting away from the topic, Top Band activity! I listen occasionally, using the G4FPH SDR, and hear quite a bit of AM activity on 1977kHz. I have a KW-160 and a Codar AT5 here so once I finish putting down a few more radials I will give the band a try.

Oh, and if anyone comes across any HIFIX gear, I'd love to get hold of a Low-Power Transmitter!

Roger/G3VKM
Old 19th Nov 2017, 8:48 am   #24
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
There're some pics I took of the Port Erroll site (Cruden Bay) here, for those who like that sort of thing.
Thanks Russell,

There's some interesting photos on that link, must have a closer look.

Cheers

Roger
Old 19th Nov 2017, 1:28 pm   #25
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Great pictures.Seems I have started something mentioning by saying I did not recognise that 1925khz transmission.

Very enjoyable posts though i add.
Old 19th Nov 2017, 3:35 pm   #26
gm0ekm cecil
Tetrode

https://youtu.be/WBeymCP_-xA?list=UU...ZJ2fL8iv3Phamg

I recorded this clip a few years ago. ..... (The trusty old B28 is still giving yeomen service) SORRY! wrong clip appeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0MU...ZJ2fL8iv3Phamg

Last edited by gm0ekm cecil; 19th Nov 2017 at 3:46 pm. Reason: Finger trouble.
Old 20th Nov 2017, 8:37 am   #27
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Hi Cecil,

I think that the second clip is LF Loran? Or, depending when you made it, it could be Pulse/8 another Decca/Racal system that I last saw used in the 90s.

Roger/G3VKM
Old 20th Nov 2017, 6:11 pm   #28
gm0ekm cecil
Tetrode

Hi Roger, yes the video clip on 100KHz. was I suspect was the Norwegian Loran C. The recording was made in 2013 after the US system was closed down, of course all gone now as the system in Europe has also been closed down. Ironically there is talk of a back up hyperbolic system for the current GPS . The first video clip (VMARS AM net) was posted in error ........... finger trouble!!
Closed Thread