UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Nov 2017, 6:42 am   #1
Linnovice
Hexode

Default Connecting advice please

Hi all, I am very fortunate in having acquired a nice collection of audio units. My listen room has at present 15 different bits of kit. R2R, MD, DAT, DAC, CD, etc, etc. All are controlled and connected through my Tascam M50 Mixer and two Sony tape recorder switch boxes plus loads of cables. It’s messy, sometimes confusing and occasionally frustrating. Is there a better way of connecting this lot and getting them to communicate with one another? I’ve heard of ‘patchbays’. Would that be a better solution? I’ve never used/seen one so I’m completely ignorant. Or, is there another solution?
As always, any advice or pointers would be very welcome.
Old 10th Nov 2017, 7:47 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Connecting advice please

You haven't said what you are using for amplification, but the number of signal sources is beyond the number of inputs of most preamps.

I used to be in that fix, so I built my own. Two input selectot switches select what is listened to and what is sent to the recorders quite separately and avoids the confusions of tape monitor switches. I liked the Quad 'Tilt' control, so I included one of those. Once you take the plunge, you can arrange things however you want. It's worked for 37 years, but the weak point in my design is the high value (22 meg) resistors used in the FET-based solid-state switch circuit I used. I keep having to replace them as they go too high!

I don't bother with so many sources now and I've bought a dead Revox B252 preamp as a long term restoration job. It'll go nicely with my A77 and B261 when I get round to having a big session at it.

A drawback to using a mixer is that they are a bit noisier than simple switches... you get some noise even from faded-down channels. If it's not noticeable, then it's not a problem.

David
Old 10th Nov 2017, 7:59 am   #3
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Comparators, which used to be used by Hi-Fi retailers, occasionally come up second hand, usually at very reasonable prices. They are essentially multi-way input and output selectors, and would meet your requirements perfectly.
Old 10th Nov 2017, 11:34 am   #4
paulsherwin

A professional patch panel or jackfield would certainly be one solution, but it would be very expensive for a domestic setup if bought new, and many people won't like the appearance in their living room.
Old 10th Nov 2017, 11:59 am   #5
Linnovice
Hexode

Hi, thanks for the responses. The amplification source is the M50 mixer. At present I've got everything going through it. It's a 12 channel x 8 buss mixer so it copes ok. The two external tape recorder switches go through it, each one directing three bits of kit. It works but leaves no room for expansion. I don't need a lot but with 15+ tape machines I like to ring the changes. (That's not bragging, I've just been very lucky in inheriting some of them.)
Old 10th Nov 2017, 12:20 pm   #6
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I suspect most or a lot of your cable's are RCA/phono types. Patch bays are usually 1/4" jack or XLR. I have a spare 32 way jobbie somewhere but you can pick em up on ebay for about £20. Patch bays are good because they're flexible and low tech, no switch's or components to go wrong.

It'd be easy to make your own using copper clad board etc, but it can turn out expensive for all the plugs and cable.

I have a 3 channel switch box your welcome to Mike as well as the patch bay.

Andy.
Old 10th Nov 2017, 2:15 pm   #7
llama
Octode

One of the nice things about a patch bay is that you can have your "default" configuration wired to the back of it and you only need to use a patch cord when you want to "seize" a particular input or output. For this arrangement, the old PO 500 (I think) switched socket (jack) is ideal. Jack plugs variously known as PO 316 or B-gauge.
Graham