UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2017, 8:36 pm   #1
sexton_mallard
Hexode

Default Location of the KB factory in Footscray?

Hi All,

By a coincidence I will be staying in a hotel close to Footscray over the weekend and I would like to know where the KB factory once stood. Can anyone point out where it is?

Less snakes...more ladders!

Last edited by sexton_mallard; 3rd Nov 2017 at 8:42 pm.
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 9:45 pm   #2
stitch1
Heptode

Default Re: Location of the KB factory in Footscray?

Likewise I’m fascinated by the manufacturer history and their locations.
I’m sure Mike will be along to tell us but I assume the original silk mill has long gone and became a Fujitsu call centre on the same site.

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Kolster-Brandes

CRAY HOUSE, 3, MAIDSTONE ROAD, FOOTSCRAY

John
Old 4th Nov 2017, 12:33 am   #3
1100 man
Octode

I well remember 'Hand wired in Footscray' from when I was a spotty youth! I think because it was such a strange word and I had no idea what it meant. It was years later when I discovered it was a place in Kent!! I was an avid collector of any TV that was being disposed of and had several 625 only 24" (I think) KB's. I always referred to them as 'sloping back' KB's and remember they always gave excellent pictures.
Cheers
Nick
Old 4th Nov 2017, 12:58 am   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

From the Radio Factories thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...2&postcount=57
Old 4th Nov 2017, 11:31 am   #5
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I went there on many occasions as we were KB agents and I used to take sets there for under guarantee work in the '50s. It was also the home of the Brimar valve factory and I was fascinated by the delivery of liquid oxygen? to the plant, there was 'snow' falling off the delivery pipe from the tanker.

Unfortunately due to the passing of time (and memory) I don't remember exactly where it was, only that it was near Crittals Corner at Sidcup.

Peter
Old 4th Nov 2017, 12:21 pm   #6
stainless
Tetrode

I lived nearish, in St. Mary's Cray, in the late 1950s. I remember being taken by my mother to visit a friend of hers, who was making toaster elements at home - winding the resistance wire (flat tape) on tho the mica frames. She was making them for KB.
Old 4th Nov 2017, 2:58 pm   #7
emeritus
Dekatron

I would think it more likely that toaster elements would have been made for Morphy Richards, who used to have a factory in St. Mary Cray. It was later occupied by the Patent Office's publications section, which I visited on a works visit in the late 1970's. We were told that it used to be a Morphy Richards factory, and that the Patent Office had needed a building with industrial-strength floors to take the weight of the huge amounts of paper stored and printed there.
Old 5th Nov 2017, 8:57 am   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I thought the same, Morphy Richards was not that far from KB, nearer to where we lived in Petts Wood in fact. I did many trips down there too.

Peter
Old 5th Nov 2017, 9:27 am   #9
stainless
Tetrode

Thank you, emeritus, and Peter N. I would have been five at the time, and may well have got Morphy Richards and KB confused.

Certainly seeing the elements being made, and looking at a working toaster caught my attention, even at that age. Wonder if that's when it all started .........
Old 5th Nov 2017, 9:45 am   #10
ms660
Dekatron

KB might have made heaters.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread