UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 1st Nov 2017, 10:02 am   #81
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Vintage Radios, TVs etc in films and on TV (not anachronisms)

On the last episode of George Gently I saw a HMV 1376 sitting on a shelf in one of the officer's houses. Looked in nice condition.
Old 13th Nov 2017, 8:03 pm   #82
McMurdo
Dekatron

A TV set in a Fanny Cradock Gas Council promo film on 1963. Not sure if it's a real one or a mock up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gasc.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	152209  
Old 13th Nov 2017, 9:00 pm   #83
Richard_FM
Octode

I remember there was something on TV a few years ago which was set about the turn of the 1970s.

One of the characters was a teenage girl with a correct for the time TV in her bedroom, something which made my Dad remark her family would have had to be rich to afford, even if it was a small portable set.
Richard_FM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Nov 2017, 8:11 pm   #84
Peter.N.
Dekatron

If you have seen the Waitrose Christmas advert you will notice that the power goes off but they are still roasting a turkey in what looks like an electric oven. In addition the Tan Hill Inn is not on mains electricity, it has a generator in a shipping container to the left of the pub - or at least it did the last time we went, so its unlikely that the power would have gone off and come on again.

Peter
Peter.N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2017, 7:10 pm   #85
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
A TV set in a Fanny Cradock Gas Council promo film on 1963. Not sure if it's a real one or a mock up
That could be a Decca DR101 series slightly disguised. John.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2017, 8:03 pm   #86
ms660
Dekatron

There's a closer view at 2:12...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsdvL6TCX6k

Lawrence.
ms660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2017, 9:15 pm   #87
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
I'm sure that is the same set that was propped on The Human Jungle last night on Talking Pictures.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Nov 2017, 9:25 pm   #88
ms660
Dekatron

The knob skirts have their function on them, for the top two the top one is On/Off/Brilliance next one down is Tuning.

Lawrence.
ms660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2018, 10:19 pm   #89
McMurdo
Dekatron

No-one's mentioned Back in Time for Tea yet? Another Murphy radio, (forum member?) and later on a Baird TV. All good stuff.
Old 13th Feb 2018, 10:35 pm   #90
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've just watched tonight's edition of 'Back in time for Tea', and I'm certain that someone mentioned that Baird in the 1950s had a factory in Yorkshire, so the 14" TV was made locally. It may in reality have been loaned by a forum member.
'LIVEWIRE?' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2018, 11:44 pm   #91
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I don't want to seem "biased" but this Northern series seems much less precious than previously. The Murphy A92 "Stationmaster" [another pun] was in period, although somewhat advanced for a working class family perhaps,so maybe artistic licence can apply? I've got one on the landing and a better one somewhere else. Apparently the Government used them at the start of the War. I was told officers had them in their troop train carriages, presumably running on a Vibrator Unit or maybe batteries?

I think I've got the same TV but in a different cabinet. Some vintage footage of TV factory work plus the same old Pathe News Train Spotting feature! The "1920's" Kitchen Range seems to be in error. No central fire or side ovens. From a much grander property I would suspect and nothing like the one that my Gran made unbeatable Bread and Butter Pudding in during the late 50's.

Dave

Sussex
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:24 am   #92
McMurdo
Dekatron

Did anyone recognise the chassis the women were working on?

Sarah said (of 1956) "tellies were being made very close to home. The biggest factory in Europe was Baird's, in Bradford."

There was also a bit about the introduction of ITV; for our northern family, Granada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	157335   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	157336   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	157337   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	157338   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	157339  

Old 14th Feb 2018, 1:57 am   #93
Andrew2
Nonode

That telly in 'Back in time for Tea' had bright pale green knobs. Were they correct or were they changed by the director to give an 'authentic' 50's look?

Last edited by Andrew2; 14th Feb 2018 at 2:24 am.
Andrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2018, 5:00 pm   #94
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Yes it was good to see the footage about Granada getting established. My daughter [27] asked what was the fuss about? I said the the BBC got a shock
My comment re the A92 wasn't just about the quality of the set [and they are nice looking] but the fact that they actually had an RF stage. It was said [I think in Radiophile Mag] that they were used at the beginning of the war until the dedicated communications receivers started to come through and this was what caught my interest. The use by Army Officers was info volunteered by an elderly chap in Milton Keynes selling his 92. It was obviously an "Officer Class" set but that useage may have just been entertainment en-route perhaps?
Either way the possibility that the "Stationmaster" Model travelled on the "permanent way" is a bit ironic in itself.

Dave W
dave walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2018, 6:59 pm   #95
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
I've just watched tonight's edition of 'Back in time for Tea', and I'm certain that someone mentioned that Baird in the 1950s had a factory in Yorkshire, so the 14" TV was made locally.
That factory would have been the Ambassador factory, in Brighouse.

In 1954, Baird Television Ltd, of Lancelot Road, Wembley, Middlesex, amalgamated with the Hartley group of companies and was then known as Hartley-Baird Ltd. The Hartley group included Hartley Electromotives Ltd and Duratube & Wire Ltd.

In 1955, Hartley Baird acquired Ambassador Radio & Television Ltd. Originally set up by R N Fitton and he remained as Managing Director of Ambassador Radio & Television and became a director of the parent company.

Hartley Baird was then taken over by Camp Bird Ltd – a mini conglomerate, of Camp Bird House, 39 Dover Street, London, W1 (by at least 1958 - as seen on a Hartley Baird Ltd letterhead, dated 13th February 1958).

Baird Television looks to have relocated to the Brighouse Works, according to the address shown on some Baird mid-50s service manuals.

Camp Bird went into receivership and the Baird TV manufacturing operation ceased. Radio Rentals acquired the name in 1961 and Baird badged sets were then made in Radio Rentals subsidiary Mains Radio Gramophones Ltd, of Bradford. MRG had factories in Lidget Green (main factory), Windhill and Batley.

As for the claim in the programme that "the Baird TV factory was the largest in Europe", I remain highly sceptical.
dazzlevision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2018, 8:36 pm   #96
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I think the TV chassis may be the Ferguson 315T series. The last picture rings no bells at all. J.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2018, 9:48 pm   #97
emeritus
Dekatron

I have never seen any Ambassador product in the flesh, but here are a TV and a Radio flyer from the early 1950's.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ambasador TV.pdf (877.2 KB, 219 views)
File Type: pdf Ambasador Radio.pdf (483.9 KB, 243 views)
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2018, 10:02 pm   #98
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
As for the claim in the programme that "the Baird TV factory was the largest in Europe", I remain highly sceptical.
I've heard of that claim for the Radio Rentals factory, but not the earlier Ambassador one.
AC/HL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Feb 2018, 1:22 am   #99
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I was asked to supply a "70s" style TV for Granada's "The Flying Pickets" special in 1983.
I chose this GEC.
https://youtu.be/mCRy4QJrQ4g?t=146
Graham G3ZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2018, 7:51 pm   #100
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

This may be a bit tenuous, but SWMBO and I watched "The Mercy" a few days ago. In an early scene in Donald Crowhurst's house in Teignmouth, there was a case in the background which reminded me strongly of a Brennell tape recorder. Since the lid was closed, I couldn't be confident, but certainly the catches on the lid and the carry-handle looked familiar....

Another recent film which we saw has lots of electronic contraptions in various backrounds; the film in question being "The Shape of Water", which is set in a research facility in Baltimore which was in some way connected to the Space Race. I will say no more as I might be accused of committing a "spoiler".

Colin.

Last edited by ColinTheAmpMan1; 16th Feb 2018 at 7:52 pm. Reason: Typo correction.
ColinTheAmpMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote