UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Nov 2017, 11:03 pm   #1
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Matching Paint Colours

Hi All

I don't know if this is useful or widely known about but as I am restoring some WW2 radio equipment I needed a paint that matched the original.

Nothing suitable in the standard range nor in the RAL or other standard swatches and of course there is no useful way to match a colour using a computer screen.

While you can get home decoration paint matched by taking a sample into a store this only gets you emulsion or gloss paint!

However I found a company on line that will match a sample paint colour and give you spray cans of paint suitable for metals.

Attached is a photo of the result - the paint was sampled by sending the small box capacitor to the company. I used this as it had been inside the enclosure for 65 years and so hadn't faded. In the photo the spray paint was applied in the area roughly enclosed by the red line. It's a very good match I think.

I'm not associated with the company but if you can't find someone offering the service PM me and I'll give you the URL of the one I used.

Cheers
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_3654a.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	152418  
Old 18th Nov 2017, 12:40 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Matching Paint Colours

I've used Paints4u to match not only colour but also mattness. You just need to send them a sample. I use it to restore casework in classic Tektronix test equipment.

https://www.paints4u.com/

Craig
Old 18th Nov 2017, 10:46 am   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Most large towns have an Auto parts /paint supplier that will be able to mix your specimen colour into an aerosol.

John.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 6:20 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That's what I have done in the past: such places are quite adept at getting a colour match to old, faded/over-T-cutted car bodywork and will generally be able to match what you give them.

Only problem is, the car body-paints [acrylic, cellulose] of old are rapidly being displaced by water-based stuff for environmental reasons: unfortunately these paints just don't work as well as the old ones.
Old 18th Nov 2017, 8:25 pm   #5
Panrock
Nonode

I thought modern acrylic aerosol was water based. Certainly, it doesn't merge in well at the edges with the two-pack already on my car.

Steve
Old 18th Nov 2017, 8:33 pm   #6
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi

Interesting about 'colour matching', I've been looking around and I'm not sure that there is clear distinction in the ads between 'analysing and producing a bespoke formula' and 'matching' to the closest in our existing colour range. I assume the company I used had a colour analyser to produce a specific receipe.

As I went to pick the paint up myself (as they had made a mistake previously) I watched them doing the mixing. Very interesting - they had paint pots with trigger operated lids that allowed them to drop in precise gram weights of many different thick colour paints into a clear base. The mixture was on scales and this was reset for each colour. Mixed by hand then poured into an aerosol can, next a cap was put on and propellant pumped in.

James
Closed Thread