UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2017, 4:26 pm   #1
VT FUSE
Hexode

Default Appeal to the TEK techie's out there...

Hello all

Since answers on TEK scopes are rapidly answered with good outcomes,I would also value a little advice please?

I recently became the new owner of a delightful small Sony Tektronix model 326 oscilloscope with charger and integral battery pack.
The instrument works faultlessly and has been fully checked out by a Gent who is both eminently qualified and also extremely experienced in electronics,I do not profess to share these attributes.

The scope works ok using either the supplied charger/psu or from an external9-32V supply.It seems as though the long dead internal battery pack has now expanded within the scope,such that it cannot be withdrawn by the intended method of releasing two thumb screws and tugging.

I would really like to remove the battery in order to rebuild using tagged cells but do not know how to proceed with its removal.

Can some kind owner or TEK savvy member please enlighten me as how best to proceed here.

Thank you.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 9:34 pm   #2
VT FUSE
Hexode

Smile Re: Appeal to the TEK techie's out there...

Bumping the thread here just a little....
Would anybody be able to tell me if the battery is lead acid or nicad on this gem of a portable scope ?
Still require any info that may be forthcoming on removal of the battery.
For a brief moment I did consider rigging a slide hammer and tugging a few times but came to same conclusion as when I thought of opening case and drifting from within-certain death to tube internals unless extremely lucky
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:01 pm   #3
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Appeal to the TEK techie's out there...

Can you make use of differential expansion by bagging up and super-cooling the whole machine? Or perhaps a can of freeze spray could be used on the battery pack itself (some of these contain lubricants- which could be a good or a bad thing depending on what else gets contaminated by the spray.
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:11 pm   #4
cmjones01
Nonode

According to TekWiki:

http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/326

The 326 uses nine 'C' size NiCd cells. I don't know of an easy way of getting them out, and I don't know this model. Is there any way of sliding a blade down the sides of the pack to unstick it from its compartment? It probably doesn't matter if it's metal because I guess the cells are discharged, but be aware of the risk...

Chris
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:14 pm   #5
VT FUSE
Hexode

Thanks for replying,the battery is certainly an interference fit in the scope.

Had not considered differential cooling/expansion but would not rule it out.
Interesting that some freezer sprays contain lubricants-you learn something every day on this forum,guess it would be electrically ok?

Pleased that I stopped before applying physical shock persuasion!
I would not rule your suggestion out but wonder if battery tech is lead acid and we are dealing with a sealed gas vented battery that has "ballooned" or the more hopeful case of slightly expanded nicad cells?

Regards
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:26 pm   #6
VT FUSE
Hexode

cmjones01

Your response is also welcomed,missed the battery detail when I looked at that website the other day,the battery issue surfaced after I had played with the scope to become accustomed to its controls.
Took my long aviation feeler gauge set to the case but it appears that the pack sits against a rebate and is held there by thumb nuts,can only pass gauge in to a depth of 2mm around the periphery.
10/10 for another good suggestion.

Regards
Old 16th Nov 2017, 10:48 pm   #7
VT FUSE
Hexode

Update:
Decided that cautious approach wins the day and will put scope on shelf for fear of causing damage inadvertently.
With retaining thumb screws loosened,removed 6 x csk 3mm screws around battery cassette and peered in,can see C size cells as advised but will wait before going deeper.
No wish to maim this working scope,maybe running from external power is no great loss in light of infrequent need to run off battery power.
Unless an owner can give insight it may be an idea to leave battery in situ?
Old 17th Nov 2017, 2:05 am   #8
Refugee
Dekatron

Can you not loosen the frame screws and flex the frame to get it loose?
If the battery carrier were removed completely the battery would shift with a bash.
It it was left in there it might leak and cause lots of rust.
Closed Thread