UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Oct 2017, 6:45 pm   #1
ljones0
Tetrode

Default Philips EL3302 Cassette recorder

Hello all!

Just writing here to ask for a little bit of help on trying to repair an old Philips EL3302 cassette recorder that I've been given.
I'm hoping to take some pictures soon to try to illustrate my point but I'm having two main issues in trying to get this old tape recorder to work. The first problem is that rewind/forward find seems to be struggling (rewind is worse, if it works at all - sometimes it needs to be moved a lot by hand). Also playback seems to be running slow; a test tape that I've created with a 400Hz tone comes out at around 338Hz(!) -- there's also evidence of a lot of wow and flutter too. Audio is present so the electronics are doing *something*.

I've found I can reduce some of these problems by removing one of the screws. If you look at this link you can see the screw in question, roughly in the middle of the picture:

http://vintage-technics.ru/Philips%2...P1031896ph.JPG

The only problem is that if I tighten that screw the 3-way (rewind/forward/play) switch will not engage into the play position (push up to play). If I loosen that screw off or remove it the rewind/playback becomes much freer and play works, but runs slow. Also removing/loosening the screw seems to affect the tape path and causes the audio to fade in and out.

The device itself seems to use two belts. After looking inside I found one had largely lost its elasticity (but intact); the other had completely disintergrated and the remains of the belt were found on the bottom of the machine.

I've given this machine a clean - as much as the rubber as possible - and also replaced both belts with two brand new belts purchased just recently in the last month or so online. Though I still get those two problems.

Any help much appreciated!

ljones

Last edited by AC/HL; 9th Nov 2017 at 12:04 pm. Reason: Link removed as requested
Old 25th Oct 2017, 12:44 am   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips EL3302 Cassette recorder

Does the speed/wow and flutter problem reduce if you stand it upright on its end so that the cassette is vertical? I once dropped my first EL3302 and I think that the impact must have shifted the position of the flywheel on its shaft so that when operated horizontally, it rubbed against the end support. Stood on end, it worked fine.
Old 26th Oct 2017, 12:07 am   #3
camtechman
Nonode

ljones0

Have you tried running the machine out of its case. If it works OK it could be that the chassis wasn't/isn't seated correctly. In some versions of the EL3302 some were more difficult to seat than others.

What version of the EL3302 do you have? This can be seen on the Identification Label to be found located in the battery chamber (with the black vinyl battery layout sheet lifted up). I will be seen after the EL3302 printed on the label.

Last edited by camtechman; 26th Oct 2017 at 12:13 am.
Old 31st Oct 2017, 1:38 am   #4
ljones0
Tetrode

I'll have to double check on that label btw I can't recall of the top of my head what the label said. Hoping to look at this machine again soon probably sometime this week or at the weekend.

I did try running the machine out of its case and it did seem to work better although the playback speed was rather off. What really confuses me though is that screw in the link above when the tape recorder is in its case (second link from top). Doing that screw up all the way (surely it shouldn't need to be left loose) stopped play (push control upwards) from working correctly.

At a random guess, could anything such as weak or tired springs (maybe something isn't engaging or releasing correctly) or maybe something needs re-lubricating? The machine inside looks pretty simple -- given though how old it is I was quite surprised at how small and neat it was inside!

ljones
Old 4th Nov 2017, 3:01 pm   #5
ljones0
Tetrode

Managed to take some reasonable quality pictures and videos now. Hopefully these will provide useful maybe even in general. But here goes:

Pictures:

EL3302 with back off; both belts are new

EL3302 label/model number

EL3302, top view

EL3302, top view, internal view

EL3302, view from front

EL3302 with tape

EL3302, top and inside side by side

EL3302 with screw at top inside cassette compartment removed

EL3302

Videos - please download; right click on link and choose 'save link as ....':

Playing a tape (test tone), but with wow and flutter, fading and wrong speed

Rewinding and forward winding seems ok outside of case

Playing a tape (test tone) again, from front

Playing a tape with music, out of case

Playing a tape (stood upwright) with music, out of case

Playing a tape (test tone), upright - same problems....

The problem screw -- tightening means the buttons don't engage/cannot be moved properly

Test tone again, machine reassembled on its side

Having problems rewiding while in case

I hope these pictures and videos explain a little more what I was trying to say!

Many thnaks

ljones
Closed Thread