UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2017, 3:54 pm   #41
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Re: New hard drive for Pentium IV

I might have thought an other way to go was with a package from the likes of Novatech/Aria or in last resort Maplin. MB+MEMORY +CPU. Possibly replace PSU ,and use old case. Get something like an AMD 2.8 with a decent speed memory and hence fast front side bus. On board graphics ( unless video is a problem) and on board LAN.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 4:05 pm   #42
KeithsTV
Nonode

I'd suggest fitting the second drive to use purely for data and use the first drive for the OS and installed software. This makes it easy to move data to a subsequent new PC.

Keith
Old 8th Sep 2017, 5:02 pm   #43
ben
Dekatron

Thanks for taking the time to check that out MrBungle.
I had thought of external storage, Paul... I can see the convenience, call me old fashioned but I prefer fixed drives. DonĀ“t like the idea of my HDD getting knocked off the desk and being ruined!

I have successfully placed the 500GB drive below the DVD ROM, and the system recognizes it. Now comes the task of copying files over. I have a few options:
-Memory stick USB (rather slow, FAT32 so no large files)
-Burn DVDs (problem, XP machine DVD drive not always working!)
-Plug both PCs into router and try and pass the files that way. Is that possible? I vaguely recall setting up workgroups or something years ago to transfer files between Pcs, not sure how that would work with XP and Win 10?
Old 8th Sep 2017, 5:08 pm   #44
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
I'd suggest fitting the second drive to use purely for data and use the first drive for the OS and installed software. This makes it easy to move data to a subsequent new PC. Keith
Indeed, Keith. That is what I have always done, and why I have two drives on my XP machine. I usually partition the main drive as c: for the OS and key programs, applications. Then the files go in the remainder (the D: partition) and in the second HDD.

The new PC has only one partition on C: with win 10, but since it does not come with system disks I do not intend to start messing with it, even though it is not 100% how I would have set it up.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 5:11 pm   #45
ben
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcodger View Post
I might have thought an other way to go was with a package from the likes of Novatech/Aria or in last resort Maplin. MB+MEMORY +CPU. Possibly replace PSU ,and use old case. Get something like an AMD 2.8 with a decent speed memory and hence fast front side bus. On board graphics ( unless video is a problem) and on board LAN.
It had crossed my mind, but I have a lot of work coming up and opted for the easy-quick route of a ready made system.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 5:27 pm   #46
paulsherwin

A memory stick is the easiest way to do it if you don't have networking set up on both machines or experience of using it. An external HD in a caddy would have been even easier

Otherwise, plug both PCs into the router, make the folder on the XP machine shared, and browse the network on the W10 system. You should be able to see the XP system and any shared folders. Copy the files and contents in the normal way.
Old 8th Sep 2017, 5:56 pm   #47
MrBungle
Dekatron

Depends how much data you have. I personally wouldn't use the network. It takes forever unless you have gigabit ethernet and it's a pain to set up! I have a couple of external 2.5" SATA disks and USB adapters. These are great for moving things around quickly. WD sell some cheap ones. They are quite robust. Something similar to: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B00H53ET0C/

I would suggest migrating your files carefully to the correct folders (documents, pictures, video, music etc) in windows 10 on the C: drive rather than putting them on a separate disk or partition. This puts them in sub-folders of c:\users\yourusername along with all the bits of hidden profile information that is stored with applications etc. It also allows windows explorer to pick up all the metadata and integrated applications properly. This is an arduous process but it really does make the machine considerably more usable!

If you hose your machine entirely there's little benefit in having your data on a separate partition as there is no protection against the main failure modes: disk failure, infection, NTFS failure, corruption. I very much doubt you will ever have to reinstall the OS and if you do, you're then putting your files at risk of partitioning accident anyway.

Make sure you keep an entire backup offline and disconnected from the machine as well. One of the fun failure modes I've seen recently is power supply failure and it takes out the board and disks. The USB disk mentioned above will also serve as a backup device.
Old 9th Sep 2017, 4:56 am   #48
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulcharlie View Post
If the hard drive is the original HP supplied one, then on the disk will be a small sector that deals with general house keeping of the HP computer, because it is hidden it obviously never gets wiped..this should alert you when there are SMART issues etc.
There's a small partition, but it's not essential - I've replaced drives in many an HP business PC over the years with no problems. The only particularly useful thing is the diagnostics, but for the last few generations (I can't remember how far back) that's all in BIOS, and for older computers you can download CD image (for the 8000 Elite the image is here).
Old 11th Sep 2017, 2:56 pm   #49
ben
Dekatron

Now up and running w10.

Only small hitch was when I tried to swap my video capture PCI card into the new desktop and found that the bracket was about two inches too long for the case Just unscrewed it and secured the card by more 'artesanal' means for now!
It also did not recognize the ps2 mouse, so I just use a USB one (there are eight or so USB ports anyhow).

Thanks for all the help chaps, and for sharing your knowledge. Much appreciated
Old 11th Sep 2017, 3:09 pm   #50
MrBungle
Dekatron

Glad to hear. The SFF PCI cards are half height. You can usually unscrew the normal bracket, cut the end off, bend a new lug over and stuff it back in. works fine
Old 11th Sep 2017, 3:39 pm   #51
Oldcodger
Nonode

Something that might interest other posters is SPEEDFAN. Monitors heat in various parts of PC ,and can be set to set fans to react to heat. I don't use it as my MB has a system to do this intelligently.
One other way of stopping HDD overheating is to sit them on the base of the case, where's there is a massive block of aluminium .
Old 11th Sep 2017, 3:41 pm   #52
MrBungle
Dekatron

Not really needed on these HP's. The BIOS does a reasonable job of this and they are very quiet anyway. Mine are all completely silent as far as my ears are concerned (non scientific and too much noisy music in the 1990s may have affected this)

Very useful on some of the home build things I've used over the years though!
Old 11th Sep 2017, 4:01 pm   #53
kan_turk
Hexode

If you're fussy suitable half-height brackets do appear on auction sites from time to time or perhaps someone on here might have one to spare

Last edited by kan_turk; 11th Sep 2017 at 4:02 pm. Reason: Word omitted
Closed Thread