UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2009, 8:49 am   #1
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Old Megger

I bought this yesterday.
500 volt Megger, made at Acton Wks, Chiswick, but I cant find any identifying makes, serial numbers etc.

It works, but I would like to get some idea of its age, if anyone here has any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	meg.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	27856  
Old 10th Aug 2009, 9:26 am   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Old Megger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Stepney View Post

'...but I would like to get some idea of its age, if anyone here has any ideas.'
My 'Atkinson' telephony (Vol:1) has a picture of this type of Megger, labelling it as: 'A Typical megger Instrument of Modern Design'. The book was written in 1948. However, 'Newnes' Complete Wireless' (General Editor Edward Molloy) has a photograph of a similar instrument being used (page 126). NCW was published in the 1930s - actual date unknown.

So your 'Megger' might date back to the 1930s.

However... I suspect this type of instrument was manufactured until the 1960s. I remember them being sold in 'Exchange and Mart' at that time.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 10th Aug 2009, 2:33 pm   #3
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the information.

My initial guess was just post-war, so that could be correct...or perhaps not!
Old 10th Aug 2009, 3:56 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Have a couple of adverts from 1954. You might glean something from the model numbers provided!

'Scuse the Moire patterning...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	megger_01.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	27873   Click image for larger version

Name:	megger_02.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	27874  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 10th Aug 2009, 4:02 pm   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Alan, According to my wee handbook, its called "Megger Insulation & Continuity Tester,Series 2". I've an old one, aluminium bodied, but the stud bolts are well & truely stuck.Therefore havent been able to crack open the casing yet. They were in use throughout the 50's & 60's, until the BM series came on the go.
Regards, David
Old 10th Aug 2009, 6:35 pm   #6
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Thanks for the information.
Although this one appears to have been taken care of, and there is the remains of an old test certificate, it has obviously had lots of use.

Judging by the aluminium casing, with the usual "powdering" and wear on the case, my guess was post-war to mid-50's or so.
Without any numbers visible, it cant be any more than a guess, but the adverts and information give a guide.

It certainly works, which is the main point, and, almost as important, it was cheap!
Old 10th Aug 2009, 6:41 pm   #7
Leon Crampin
Octode

I have one of these - origin completely unknown.

It's beautifully made and cranks smoothly. I connected my Fluke to it, cranked the handle and was rewarded with 10 M Ohms and 500V - precisely.

Well done, Evershed & Vignoles.

Leon.
Closed Thread