UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2017, 11:20 pm   #1
christge
Tetrode

Default Replica Mouldseal and 'Torpedo-Shaped' Capacitors

Replicating Mouldseal and 'Torpedo-Shaped' Capacitors

Material List:
-Paper
-Printer
-Service Cement
-Nail Polish
-Clear Spray Paint
Procedure
See pictures for comparisons. The results are nearly identical to the original, just a lot lighter and the label has no ‘mould seam’. The Blue/Brown Hunts (top left in before/after picture), the black Hunts (bottom left in before/after picture) and the ‘Torpedo Shaped’ capacitors (top right in before/after picture) are from a Pye 116U. The Green Cornell Dublier was found in a GE J-64 (not original).

For Moudseal:

-Take length and diameter measurements of the original.
-Cut several strips that are the same length, and wrap them around the replacement capacitor using glue stick until the desired diameter is reached .
-The final 'wrap' is made with a label recreated in PowerPoint; matching the font and colour as best as possible. (see attachments below).
-Additional smaller wraps are made around the lead to fill the void where the capacitor sits so that is flush with the outer wraps.
-The ends are then trimmed with a razor blade so they are fairly even.
-Seal the ends with service cement and paint with nail polish to match colour of the label.
-Finally, a light 'dusting' of clear spray paint to give it a 'plastic look' and protect the label. This also tends to blend the nail polish and label together some.

For ‘Torpedo-Shaped’ I find the replacement capacitors are slightly larger, so the label is applied directly without building out. The ends are rounded out with the service cement and then painted. In small font I also add dates at one end.
Additional Notes
To help identify the work that was done, the label is updated with the correct voltages (as I usually choose higher values) and the date I purchased the replacement. If someone looks at one of my 'Hunts Mouldseals' they'll likely know they weren't made in 2016! I also leave tags/stickers/etc inside the radio noting that the capacitors were replaced (as well as any other work).

Hope someone finds this tip useful!

ATTACHMENTS:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye116U DSC_0525 capacitor construction_v2.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	146432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pye116U before-after.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	146433   Click image for larger version

Name:	GE J64 DSC_0655 after - Dublier new vs old.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	146434  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cap Labels.zip (114.1 KB, 124 views)
Old 19th Jul 2017, 12:34 pm   #2
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: Replica Mouldseal and 'Torpeo-Shaped' Capacitors

Hi Christge,

Oddly enough I was just pondering whether to re-use or replace some similar capacitors and you have given me some ideas, but I have to ask what is 'service cement'?

I like the idea of reproducing the labels, my spin is to consider 'skinning' the old caps and wrapping the original label on the new 'fattened' capacitor - or possibly scanning or photographing the 'skin' to act as a template to get the new skin font/text exactly right.

Cheers
James
Old 20th Jul 2017, 10:54 pm   #3
christge
Tetrode

Default Re: Replica Mouldseal and 'Torpeo-Shaped' Capacitors

Hi James,

Service Cement is a general purpose adhesive for bonding semi-porous materials, plastics and metal. It is commonly used for speaker repair.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/product...service-cement

I found that it puddles nicely on the ends and is readily paintable. I would imagine any type of adhesive that would seal the paper ends and holds paint would be fine.

I had thought about 'skinning' old caps myself but never really tried it. Found font selection through trial and error wasn't too bad.

Cheers and good luck!

Geoff
Closed Thread