UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2017, 3:26 pm   #21

Default Re: Light work bench.

Quote:
Which French king was that?
It wasn't:-
a) metrication in France (the one we are talking about) happened during the revolution, no monarchy left!
b) It was defined by the French at the time as a ten millionth of the distance twix the equator and north pole passing through Paris on a line of latitude.

To top it all the inch was defined as exactly 25.4mm in 1959, other common units have been referenced to the metric system to, so we all use metric, sometimes without knowing.

Back on topic, if using kitchen worktop support it quite well, an unsupported span of a metre (yard, couple of cubits) or so will sag after a while. Great for kitchens where cabinets sit under it.

Old 21st Mar 2017, 4:02 pm   #22
ms660
Dekatron

Kitchen (chipboard) worktops are usually either the thick type or the not so thick type, if using the thicker type for heavy work then I would recommend 600mm maximum unsupported span, another thing worth mentioning is if it's going in a damp building/shed or there's a chance of any moisture sloshing around then seal any exposed edges against moisture using an edging strip glued with impact adhesive.

As an alternative run a bead of clear silicone rubber along the exposed edge(s) and rub it in with a cloth, let it go off a bit then rub another layer in, that's the way I did all the edges of worktop cutouts and the back exposed edges of worktops when installing them and fitting drop in sinks etc.

Lawrence.
Old 21st Mar 2017, 7:45 pm   #23
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
another thing worth mentioning is if it's going in a damp building/shed or there's a chance of any moisture sloshing around then seal any exposed edges against moisture using an edging strip glued with impact adhesive.
TBH if I was in an environment where damp-ingress to the ends of MDF shelves/worktops was likely to be a significant issue I'd be vastly more worried about the overall health of any electronic equipment stored there!
Old 21st Mar 2017, 7:51 pm   #24
ms660
Dekatron

Folks do.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 6:02 pm   #25
usradcoll1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
2nd Pic: Bench loaded up.
The 2nd picture, bench loaded up!
You have a collection, that many comm receiver collectors in the states, long for!
Ar88, HRO etc. I recognize several in your collection, except for a few.
Is the receiver to the left of the BC348, a Hallicrafters? Is the valve tester a TV7?
Please post back with the complete rundown of your receivers.
BTW, great job on the bench!
Dave.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 6:34 pm   #26
ms660
Dekatron

Thanks, ref picture, top shelf L to R:

Reception Set R106 MK11 receiver (aka HRO 5t) original HRO loudspeaker on top.
Hallicrafters SX17 receiver (230/115 volt version)
Wells-Gardner BC348Q receiver (original dynamotor still fitted! plus shock mount) LS-3 loudspeaker on top.
Marconi R1155 receiver with a Marconi TF2700 LCR bridge on top.

Main bench (rear) L to R:

RCA AR88D loudspeaker (a proper one)
Murphy B40d receiver.
Hallicrafters SX28 receiver (230/115 volt version)
RCA AR88d receiver.

Front L to R:

HRO Senior bandspread coils (receiver on another bench)
Supreme 1-177b tube tester (aka Hicock)
Avo CT378a signal generator.

I built another bench too which is on the opposite side of the room shown in the picture, same type of construction materials, if I can find a pic I'll post it up with what's on it.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 7:00 pm   #27
ms660
Dekatron

Re: previous post, here's the other bench I made, 1st pic L to R:

Eddystone 358x receiver with factory fitted noise limiter, plug in coils on top.

Racal RA117 receiver, on top of that a Racal RA218 independent sideband adaptor, on top of that a Hammarlund HQ150 receiver (115 volt)

HRO senior receiver (rack mount type)

2nd pic:

Marconi CR300 receiver plus PSU, on top BC221q frequency meter (Alan D Cardwell Manufacturing Co)

On the floor:

Full coil pack in original box for the Reception Set R106MK11 (HRO 5t)

3rd pic:

Bench just after finishing it.

I no longer have all that stuff now But I still have the two benches I made.

Lawrence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P8010004.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	139822   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8010005.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	139823   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7300001.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	139824  
Old 25th Mar 2017, 7:09 pm   #28
Radio Wrangler

TWO AR88s AND a B40 on the same bench?

Light workbench?

To make the bench in my garage, I went round the timber merchants and picked up a couple of cosmetically damaged fire doors. Cheep, strong and good looking. They went on a steel frame made from 30mm sq box section. I bounce engines on this bench

Ooh, an RA117.

David
Old 25th Mar 2017, 7:15 pm   #29
ms660
Dekatron

Just the one AR88d David, the other AR88 ref is the loudspeaker for it, a good chunk of all that stuff was previously on a kitchen table which I made years ago which was also duty heavy.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 8:03 pm   #30

Quote:
Re: previous post, here's the other bench I made
That's not a work bench, it's a beautiful display unit (only kidding, well not entirely!).

Old 25th Mar 2017, 8:14 pm   #31
ms660
Dekatron

The grand plan was to link the two benches together with another one but the plan changed

I built the building they were in as well specifically as a workshop, the cats have it now along with a pile of my DIY stuff and other general dross, but that's another story.

Lawrence.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 10:05 pm   #32

Quote:
the cats have it now
Discerning things cats.

Old 27th Mar 2017, 4:47 pm   #33
usradcoll1
Heptode

Thanks for posting all the pictures of the real great collection!
It seems to be an unwritten law that vintage electronics collectors, have to have cats, one or more! I have three, that oldest being 19YO.
Old 27th Mar 2017, 10:03 pm   #34
McMurdo
Dekatron

my kitchen worktop bench is a little over 2m. Initially supported at each end, when I tried the 'sit-on' test, it gave a little in the middle so I added a mid-way 45deg brace, from front edge to skirting board.
Old 29th Mar 2017, 8:42 pm   #35
greenstar
Octode

The metric system is designed for scientific measure. Makes calculation in decimals far easier. Imperial units are ancient and based on things on the scale of the human body, so are easy to visualise - low tech - a tangible system for daily use. Horses for courses.
Closed Thread