UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2017, 11:14 pm   #1
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Desert Island Discs

Just been on BBC4. "75 Years of DID" introduced by Kirsty Young! Repeat of the 1982 Arena Documentary put together with sticky backed plastic from Blue Peter [I always found that program totally patronising myself-even as a child]. Lots of interesting people in the Doc Arthur Askey and a bloke from the Beatles. Roy visits the Beeb Record Library as discussed on here recently-now all in a warehouse somewhere I think?

Dave W
Old 30th May 2017, 7:42 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Desert Island Discs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
sticky backed plastic from Blue Peter [I always found that program totally patronising myself-even as a child].
Bah humbug. They had to call it sticky backed plastic because of the Beeb iron clad rules at that time about advertising. So they could not use any proprietary name like Fablon.

And who could forget the Christmas decoration based on using a bent coat hangar?

Anyway, the first episode was in 1958, only 13 years after WWII and four years after food rationing stopped, so things were pretty austere then and for quite a while after that.

Craig
Old 30th May 2017, 8:19 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

the Arena programme has been available on iPlayer for some time now in the Arena section.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...t-island-discs
Old 30th May 2017, 8:44 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I should have it on VHS from 1982 but I tend to record repeats for better quality [debatable sometimes] and the way in which similar material or updates can be often "bundled" on BBC4. Kirsty Young, a DID natural, is definetely added value for example!

Dave
Closed Thread