UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2017, 6:54 am   #1
swulf70
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoring a Murphy Baffle A104

Hello,

In June I will start restoring my Dad's Murphy Baffle A104. It saw many years use in our outbuilding and sadly I eventually neglected it, simply through lack of use. It no longer shows any activity when turned on, so I suspect there are several things wrong which will need to be tracked down.

I have moved the set into the dry for the last 6 months and I will take the back panel off and have a quick look. I did find the circuit schematic on the web so I have something to go on at least.

The outside of the set has suffered a bit, and might need replacement veneer (if that's even possible). Certainly all the metalwork will need to be restored. At least one control knob is broken, so if anyone has any sources(!)?

Anyway, that's my next project. I remember my Dad absolutely loved the sound of the Baffle, it would be great to bring it back as a nice reminder!

Last edited by AC/HL; 28th May 2017 at 12:55 pm. Reason: Forum rule B8
Old 28th May 2017, 8:43 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: Restoring a Murphy Baffle A104

You will find it quite challenging, but could I gently point out that you have started badly?
Never just turn on an old radio of unknown condition without some preliminary exploration.
You risk ruining the transformers and output valve/s, expensive and difficult components to source replace.
Sam.
Old 28th May 2017, 10:27 am   #3
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Before concentrating on the less relevant cosmetics ("restoring" metalwork makes no difference to the electronic performance) you need to get the set working. Do you have the relevant skills to safely do this?
Old 28th May 2017, 11:47 pm   #4
swulf70
Retired Dormant Member

Hi folks,

Points taken! The radio is not totally unknown, we have had it in the family for years and eventually it stopped working. Once I discovered it was not functioning I left it alone until now. I won't be powering it up without more examination.

I have experience with electronics (I work in the field) so while I am not greatly experienced with valve radio repair I have useful skills and an understanding of the risk involved. I'm aware I'm working with high DC voltages and stuff that is way past its prime. Of course, I'm open to any helpful advice!
Old 1st Jun 2017, 11:48 am   #5
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by swulf70 View Post
I remember my Dad absolutely loved the sound of the Baffle, it would be great to bring it back as a nice reminder!
Good luck, they do sound lovely, I have a number of Baffle floor standing and table Murphys and they have a remarkably pleasant bass quality, deep and never boomy.
It's a shame I recent passed on my second A104 (I see no point having two) it might have been helpful for you.