UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2017, 9:32 pm   #1
112stereo
Pentode

Default Vidor Henley CN426

Can anyone help please.
Trying to get this radio going for a friend's family who has had it from new and just found it when clearing out a relative's property.
Had to replace the mains cable which had gone open circuit due to cracking.
Now when turned on the speaker clicks and a slight noise if the centre terminal on the volume control is touched but nothing else.
The HT is running at 88 volts, but valve 3 (DAF 91 ) on the anode is 35 volts which is quite high, but the heaters are 4.5 volts per valve which is far too high.
Have checked the circuitry around the heater circuit and can't find anything wrong.
Can anyone help please.
Old 27th May 2017, 9:56 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Henley CN 426

If the filaments show 4.5 V, they're open circuit! Check between pins1&7 of each pulled valve to be certain.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 27th May 2017, 10:21 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes, that would be my thought -- at least one of the filaments could well be open-circuit. There are shunt resistors across the filaments, to dispose of the anode current which otherwise would flow through the filaments of the next valves downstream, and an extra resistance in series when operating from mains. All this could mask problems. Simplest thing is to carefully remove each valve in turn and measure with a digital meter set to 200Ω range across pins 1 and 7. Post your readings here; also please post the readings you get with nothing connected to the probes, and with the probes touching.

For testing purposes, it might be best to use a home-made battery pack using disposable batteries bought from a pound store; you can wire ten 9V smoke alarm batteries in series to make 90 volts, and five AA walkman batteries in series to make 7.5V.
Old 29th May 2017, 1:12 pm   #4
112stereo
Pentode

Thanks for responding.
Have checked all valve heaters and all give readings.
Having checked the bypass restors I can't find one for valve 3 ?
I removed all the valves and expected to read the bypass resistors in circuit , the only reading I get is a slight kick from c 22 ?
I am reading from c22 positive to earth which by my calculations should go via r18, r15, s9 open, r6, r11, and r2 to chassis......there is no reading other than the kick from c22.
Just as a test I put a resistor across valve 3 heaters and behold I have a reading of the correct value !
Nothing appears to have been touched internally so I can't work out, if my circuit is correct, how it ever worked, but clearly it did.
I have not tried to power it up again, do you think I should try it ?
Old 29th May 2017, 1:44 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Only with batteries and be ABSOLUTELY sure that the 90V supply is NOT connected to the filament circuit!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th May 2017, 1:54 pm   #6
112stereo
Pentode

Just as a follow up, the valve heaters all read 20 ohm except DL94 which reads 30 ohm, read on an ago 8.
Perhaps o should try the battery test first, this might have to wait till Wednesday when I can get to the shops.
Old 29th May 2017, 2:28 pm   #7
ukcol
Rest in Peace

If the OT or anyone else is interested, this set is a Vidor model and service data is on Paul's DVD and here.
Old 29th May 2017, 4:48 pm   #8
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The first thing to do with this type of set is to ensure the filament-circuit is OK. To safeguard the delicate valves you can use ordinary carbon-film resistors as dummy loads, three x 27 ohm for the DK92, DF91 & DAF91 and a 56 0hm for the DL92 (O/P valves have a centre-tapped 2.8V filament), insert the 56 ohm resistor between 1 and 7 of the DL92 socket, and one 27 ohm resistor in pins 1 and 7 of the other three, switch the set on and make sure the voltage drop across each resistor is no more than 1.4V maximum.

If you find any valve has a voltage-drop much too high or too low, this suggests problems with the filament shunt resistors dotted along the chain. I can only generalise on these as they vary from model to model, but the Service sheet will detail what the manufacturer originally fitted!

I've attached the Mullard Paper giving the theory behind operating battery valves from the mains here!

Chris Williams
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VTC_23_to_31.pdf (1.58 MB, 119 views)

Last edited by Chris55000; 29th May 2017 at 4:55 pm.
Old 29th May 2017, 9:13 pm   #9
Chris55000
Nonode

Default Re: Vidor Henley CN426

Hi!

Just a quickie point I forgot to clarify earlier!

If you use carbon-resistors as dummy Valve-Filaments I appreciate the voltage-distribution along the chain will not be the same as with actual valves fitted because the shunt-resistors will only bypass a portion of the chain current rather than the anode/G2 currents of each valve, but you should still be able to prove, using dummy resistors, that the chain, wiring and filament-dropping arrangements are intact!

If Pin 5 (fct & G3) of the DL94 output valve has it's own bypass shunt connected to chassis, then use 1 x 27R from 1 & 5 plus a second 27R from 5 to 7 to substitute for the DL94 by the way!

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 29th May 2017 at 9:21 pm.
Old 29th May 2017, 9:25 pm   #10
Chris55000
Nonode

PS!

The DAF91 diode-detector/AF amplifier stage only takes minute anode and screen-grid currents, hence there being no shunt-resistor across the filament of this valve!

Chris Williams
Old 30th May 2017, 6:42 am   #11
peter_sol
Octode

Hello if you want valves I can dig some out FOC and I am local
just PM me your address I will see what I have

Last edited by peter_sol; 30th May 2017 at 6:49 am.
Old 30th May 2017, 7:53 am   #12
112stereo
Pentode

Thank you all very much for all the info. It looks like a long job so I need some batteries to keep the thing safe till I can check it all out properly.
Thank you also Peter I might be taking you up on your offer of valves once I get the heater chain right.
My circuit certainly shows a bypass shunt resistor on each valve, it's just I can't find one for valve 3 in the actual radio !?
I am just wondering if there is a modification sheet for perhaps later models, but I can't find one.
Closed Thread