UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 16th May 2017, 7:57 am   #1
sparkymike
Octode

Default Frigidaire compressor.

I just got an email from a very good German friend who has an early 50's/60's French fridge that he needs a compressor for.
The compressor was made in UK by Fridgidaire, so better chance for me to locate one for him that him trying to find one in Germany. Obviously he will need it to be re-charged if one turns up.
Would the seals in the original type compressor be compatible with the modern gasses ?

Thumbnails below.
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	142640   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170513_120237.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	142641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170513_120342.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	142642  
Old 16th May 2017, 11:27 am   #2
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Default Re: Fridgidaire compressor.

You used to be able to get a universal complete replacement unit already assembled and gassed, I fitted one in our fridge - but it was in the 1950s I got it from a firm CW Wheelhouse in Hounslow, I doubt they still exist but it might give you a starting point.

Peter
Old 16th May 2017, 3:41 pm   #3
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Hi Mike, that is Dichlorodifluoromethane on label, which is R12 and is banned now.
I think it is very unlikely a sealed system that old could be converted to modern (non-banned) refrigerant use. Because the ice box evaporator inside the cabinet (as fitted on old style refrigerators) is part of the sealed system, and I imagine it will be impossible to find a modern "drop in" complete replacement system. Therefore, I can only imagine that the refrigerator cannot be repaired.
Any release of refrigerant into the atmosphere can carry severe penalties, so it is not practical to attempt any work unless you have the f-gas certificate required by law.
Sorry to be so negative,
Rob
Old 16th May 2017, 3:49 pm   #4
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Just re-read your post,
Quote:
Would the seals in the original type compressor be compatible with the modern gasses ?
Shaft seals are what I think you mean, like on car aircon? There are no seals as such on a hermetically sealed compressor, which is what it is. It is the compatibility of refrigerant type with lubricating oil, design operating pressures and capillary tube dimensions (or thermostatic expansion valve, if fitted) that matter. It might be possible to re-design the system using just the internal ice box as original, but would be a massive and costly undertaking, assuming an engineer was found who was interested?
Rob
Old 16th May 2017, 4:58 pm   #5
PsychMan
Octode

While anything is possible, I think it would be beyond economic repair. The costs of getting someone qualified to dispose of the old gas, and retro fit a new system, I heard talk of £500, assuming the right person could be found. I think you're almost building a new fridge into the old shell.
Old 17th May 2017, 5:25 pm   #6
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: Frigidaire compressor.

A commercial refrigeration engineer will have no problem making it work. If you want to use period components, then that is a different matter!
Old 17th May 2017, 6:29 pm   #7

A friend of mine is a cooling engineer/technician he takes a lot of effort to suck out the old gasses where ever he finds some (by the road side etc.) on the premise that a) it won't leak into the atmosphere (well not yet anyway) and b) he can fix old fridges.
I wonder what the "greenhouse gasses" balance is, old fixed fridge vs. a new one?

Old 19th Jun 2017, 12:21 am   #8
space_charged
Hexode

There IS a "drop in" replacement for the now banned R12. The one I've used is isceon 49.
Its not a single gas, rather a mixture of two, so care has to be taken when charging a system with it.

I'm still using the Prestcold my parents bought back in 1963 and its been in continuous use since then. Naturally its on R12 and the stated charge is 8oz.
Capillary leak expansion systems (which are used in most small fridges) are very sensitive to the charge, so I assume all 8oz are still in there!

Charles

Last edited by space_charged; 19th Jun 2017 at 12:30 am. Reason: Added more text.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 7:14 am   #9
sparkymike
Octode

Fridge now sorted. Thanks for all replies.
Mike.
Old 19th Jun 2017, 8:19 am   #10
red16v
Heptode

How?
Closed Thread