UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Apr 2017, 10:25 am   #1
Midnight Fixer
Retired Dormant Member

Default Smiths Sectric alarm clock

Hi! I have my parents old clock, which I acquired 25 years ago, and which worked perfectly for a long time before it decided to give trouble. (Till 20 years ago? Just unearthed it from loft.
Problem: electrics def working, and alarm goes off at correct time when you move alarm setting knob to relevant time of hands.
BUT none of the hands go round.
It all looks very neat and clean, glass all intact, am/Pm window and hands feel firm when you set time, but they obstinately don't actually move when left plugged in.
I opened back and it looked clean.
A bit nervous of digging deep but if I knew what I was looking for I can give it a go.
Any ideas?
Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0700.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	141596  
Old 28th Apr 2017, 9:49 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths Sectric alarm clock

Hi,

When you say 'electrics working' does that mean the clock is actually running, ie wheels are turning?
Have you a picture of the movement from the back?