UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2017, 11:50 pm   #21
turretslug
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone can make mount a panel meter for me?

Wot they say. Once you give it a go and find that it's straightforward, precise and rewarding, all sorts of things will sprout IEC inlets in flat steel places....
Old 4th May 2017, 6:16 am   #22
Radio Wrangler

When filing aluminium you need a very sriff wire brush to keep brushing the accreted aluminium chips out of the file's cutting area. These chips will cold-weld together and build up into lumps which make filing more difficult and leave marks in your work.

The ideal thing for cleaning a file is a 'File Card' which is a lump of carding cloth attached to a wooden backing come handle. Carding cloth is bits of steel wire woven in with canvas to give a mat of short (10mm) densely packed wire bristles. It was used in great belts in the textile industry. Nasty stuff if you prick your fingers with it.

Test a tool shop. Go in and ask for a file card. Only the good ones know. In the rest, it's like the four candles sketch with roles reversed.

David
Old 4th May 2017, 7:08 am   #23
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I generally use a cutting disc on a Dremel for this sort of thing. Cut just shy of the corners until you've done all the sides, then carefully finish thecorners (don't over-shoot!). Masking tape helps to prevent the blade slipping.
Old 4th May 2017, 8:09 am   #24
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Mike, basically a nibbler, when drill powered is a bit more like a broach.
I have also seen a hand powered version, but you would need a grip like a gorilla for even 1mm material.
That's it, Ed. Mine is the sort you use on an electric drill.
Old 4th May 2017, 9:18 am   #25
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, if you fail to find a file card then chalk rubbed on the file also stops it from clogging.

Ed
Old 4th May 2017, 1:55 pm   #26
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Smile Re: Anyone can make mount a panel meter for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen O View Post
There's something satisfying about filing rectangular apertures. It requires patience...

I think its an important part of the creative process to do what you can by hand - I rarely use power tools. That's just as well because I often work in the middle of the night!
Hey Karen,

I like your post and in it, sense and share your enjoyment of slowing things down -- and doing them right the first time.

Do you suffer from insomnia or is it just that you do electronics at night because of your day job?

I also have more hand tools than power tools. I have a small grey-market 'Dremel' but the tools are not that great. I also have a more powerful version for cutting things, but it makes jagged cuts and takes a lot of clamping to control its torque.

More to the point, it's still hard for me to carry things as I am still on one crutch, so it will take a couple of hours just to assemble all the things I need to work on my table, sort them out and then put them back in the same session. That, too requires a lot of patience. But I'm glad to be heading in the direction of being able to do more and more!
Old 4th May 2017, 2:01 pm   #27
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
...there are several suppliers of what were called Q-max cutters in a range of sizes that cut a beautifully neat hole.
Hey Ed,

Thanks, that's a good tip. I haven't used anything like a hole punch since metalwork at secondary school, which was compulsory until the then 3rd year (now called year 10). This was a long time ago, but I have distinct memories including the smell or machine oil and the whirr of a three-phase motor.

Our metalwork teacher was proper ancient and rather eccentric and virtually lived in his metalwork shop, never going to the staff room to mix with other teachers. He practically never had a student do either 'O' level or 'A' level metalwork, which I think really got him down.

It wasn't my favourite subject at the time but now I look back on it, I learned some really useful things about marking, cutting and drilling metal. Really grateful for that, even if it's rather rusty. It would be interesting to use a properly-equipped metalwork shop now!
Old 4th May 2017, 8:45 pm   #28
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Al, I was fortunate in going to a boys Grammar-tech where both woodwork and metal work were compulsory until 3rd year when you chose one or the other, so plenty of O level students and to od one doing it to A level.
The original teacher had been a locksmith and he showed us some amazing things (and probably pushed up the burglary rate in my home town). His successor was an Electrical Engineer who was trained at the local engineering works.
Plenty of machine tools, we even did some casting and pattern making work; one of my A level projects was to build a racing go-kart.

If you get up to may area call in and I'll show you some workshops that you will love.

Ed
Old 4th May 2017, 10:07 pm   #29
Radio Wrangler

The school I went to positively frowned on anyone doing anything practical. There was a token woodwork or pottery class turning out the occasional disfigured toothbrush holder, and good taste prevents me describing the pottery products. Hell, people doing anything with tools ran the risk of turning into (shock, horror) an artisan! Once I was clear of the place I had a lot of catching up to do.

David
Old 5th May 2017, 1:30 am   #30
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The school I went to positively frowned on anyone doing anything practical.
Even worse in today's world.

I was asked by a teacher at the local school about doing some basic electronics classes. The moment soldering was mentioned it was "we can't do that, the kids might hurt themselves".

Needless to say it never proceeded.

Al, good luck with the hole cutting. Being not so good at it myself, I usually cheat. Either a mask (as previously mentioned) over the hole, or send it out if it really needs to be top notch.

Terry
Closed Thread