UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Apr 2017, 8:16 pm   #1
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

Default Smiths Sectric Wall Clock

I have several Smiths clocks and have restored a number. This is a recent purchase. I am delighted with it. Very solid and heavy.
The question I have is that it is different from all the others I have. There is no method of changing the time. I assume the hole in the front is push press to start. Anyone even a Smiths like this? Does it mean you need to start it at the correct time? I have a couple of Smiths catalogues 1949 and a later. Nothing like this in those, suspect this is an earlier clock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	141292   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1441.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	141293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	141294  
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 8:22 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Smiths Sectric Wall Clock

If the hole in the front is a push starter it must be possible to open the glass, though I can't see any hinges in the pictures. If so you could push the hands 'round by hand, as you would with a mechanical clock.

It's certainly a nice-looking clock.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 8:49 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

From memory it looks like one we had as a child, except that one had a foot. If so, the glass may be hinged on one side, with a screw through the back at the other.
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 9:09 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Very stylish and attractive, Kneale. Not one I've encountered before, so presumably quite rare!

Barrie Smith's info suggests that it must be post-1937 because it is trademarked "Sectric", but not much after that date because it has a prominent "T".

The movement is a variant of the De Luxe, i.e. essentially SEC's second synchonous movement design, introduced in 1933.

A self-starting version was introduced in 1934 and still produced until c.1955, and I suspect this is what you have, the small hole under the centre arbor on the front being for the tell-tale to show if the clock's running.

As to your original question, that's a mystery! I have seen clocks which have been modified or fitted into alternative cases which can sometimes explain anomolies like this. Yours almost has the look of a flush-mounted clock that's been fitted into a simple hardwood case so that it can be used without cutting a recess in the wall... but that doesn't explain the lack of hand-set either.

How big is it, BTW? Presumably about a foot across?

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 22nd Apr 2017 at 9:23 pm.
Old 29th Apr 2017, 5:41 pm   #5
Radio_Doctor
Pentode

Many thanks and sorry for becoming incognito! Have a big birthday this weekend and preparing was order of the day. It is 12" across and does open (hinged at top). The little window doesn't have an indicator wheel Nick - just a black plate. One other I had thi was used to start.
Never seen a Smiths with no hand adjusting knob. Maybe you do just move the hands from the front?
Tried for better photos an of the catalogues I have.

Many thanks Kneale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	141751  
Old 29th Apr 2017, 7:48 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Oh yes, if it does open, then you're just meant to move the hands manually. There is a slipping clutch arrangement, so no harm will be done.

I have several non-glazed Smiths wall clocks which are set in exactly this way.

N.
Closed Thread